Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

Raptor for mx and scrambles

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2002 | 11:01 AM
|
Trailblazer

I recently purchased a 2002 Raptor and haven't modified anything yet. I took it to a nearby mx track a couple of weeks ago to ride for a couple of hours, and was able to get the shocks to dial in o.k., but nothing spectacular. I had a hard time cornering though, it pushed hard through the corners and always wanted to go wide.
I know raptors are kind of tall, but will lowering it effect its abiliity to take hard landings an soak up the whoops? Will lowering and widening cure the cornering problem? I would like to widen it but still want to be able to navigate in the woods.
I guess I'm not sure where to start.
I raced mx on a 400ex (piped, jetted,k&n air) without any suspension mods and didn't have any problems, so I hadn't given it alot of thought until now.
Help!!!!

Old 02-28-2002 | 07:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

here's my thought since nobody else will answer you . i have a 01'and i just installed elka piggyback triple rates a +4 durablue axle timmyboy a -arms and maxxis razrs on hiper carbonfiber rims. and i must say the bike is totally changed.the handling is so much better with the bike being lower from the shocks and wider with the a -arms, and the tires slide so much easier and the bike jumps and lands without any problems and it is plush . the bike is so much more planted and stable that i wonder what the hell i was waiting for.and as for trails. you are only about 4 inches wider so it wont cause to many problems and when you feel the much improved handling you wont be able to get off the track.also if your going to buy shocks spend a little more and get a higher end pair such as elka, tcs, or pep, because i first went with works and they dont even compare. thats just my opinion. good luck and hope you have as much fun building your bike as i did.

Old 03-01-2002 | 07:24 AM
|
Trailblazer

Thanks Smoker, I had all but given up on that question. Your input is greatly appreciated. Those Elka shocks sound like a sweet ride. Did you get Elka for a rear shock also?
I was kind of looking at those durablue x-33 axles, but haven't decided yet. What does your Raptor weigh after the mods? I've heard the carbon fiber rims are a lot lighter, bet they look trick too.

Old 03-02-2002 | 06:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

NOT SURE ON THE WEIGHT BUT THIS THING LOOKS TRICK .IM GOING TO HAVE THE STOCK REAR SHOCK REVALVED BY ELKA FOR ABOUT $280 INSTEAD OF AROUND $600+ FOR THEIR REAR SHOCK AND THAT WILL ALSO LOWER THE REAR END.I WOULD ALSO GO WITH DURABLUE OVER LONESTAR BECAUSE I'VE HEARD PEOPLE SAYING THE STOCK HUBS DONT FIT RIGHT ON THE AXLE AND THEY ARE USING JB WELD TO MAKE THEM TIGHT.AS FOR THE RIMS, IM IN LOVE WITH THEM SO FAR ,BUT NOT HAD A CHANCE TO REALLY HIT ANY JUMPS. IF THEY CANT TAKE THE PUNISHMENT FROM ME AN AVERAGE RIDER THEN YOU KNOW I WILL BE POSTING IT. GOOD LUCK AND WHEN IN DOUBT GAS IT.

Old 03-03-2002 | 01:20 AM
Pro Rider

I agree with Smoker, by installing a wider axle, a-arms, and aftermarket shocks the raptor will handle much better everywhere. I raced mx on my raptor and the best mods I installed were a wider axle, offset front wheels, and Elka shocks. Also, try a set of mx holeshots and you will slide and corner better as well.

Old 03-04-2002 | 07:58 AM
Range Rover

Dana Creech is currently running the HiPer carbon fibers along with Greg Roe on his desert DS650 .Ive had mine for over a year now and havent had any problems .Chris Borich in the gncc circuit is running them also

Old 03-04-2002 | 08:17 PM
|
Trailblazer

I read that the durablu x-33 can be ordered with hubs so I'll probably go that route with the axle. I also checked out a rear shock revalve by DeResi Racing. I haven't decided yet on the shocks. I'm still waiting on my tax return also. So I have a little time to think about it.
Those HiPer carbon fiber rims must be hella tough if Creech is using them. He pulls off some huge air.

Old 03-05-2002 | 02:30 AM
Weekend Warrior

TO HERE THAT CREECH AND OTHERS ARE USING THE HIPER RIMS, REALLY PUTS MY MIND AT EASE. A LOT OF MY BUDDIES ARE ROASTING ME SAYING I BOUGHT PLASTIC WHEELS, BUT I'LL LET THEM KEEP THINKING THEY ARE JUNK SO NONE OF THEM BITE OFF ME. TALK TO YOU GUYS LATER.

Old 03-05-2002 | 09:30 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

does RPM make a raptor axel yet? if so it would be a much wiser choice than any dura-bend axel [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]