Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

Is there a difference between Dyno-Jet and jets from the dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2002, 01:16 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read that with Dyno-Jet it will up your horsepower by around 2hp, are these jets different than the ones you buy at your local dealer?
Is the $60 dollar kit worth it?
Thanks

Old 06-25-2002, 03:10 AM
Pro Rider

Yes the Dynojets jets & needles are a diffrent design than the stock jets.
I like them, some don't. I think it improved my mid range throttle response.

Old 06-25-2002, 11:14 AM
Pro Rider

YES! If they offer a kit for your specific need, they will send you the proper jets, needles, springs, whatever your bike requires, & the proper information on any air box/filter mod needed for proper fuel/air mixture. They get it right the first time. No guessing, just pure performance.

Old 06-25-2002, 04:43 PM
Trailblazer

Well I'm going to have to disagree here. Although my experience wasn't with a quad, it was still a dyno jet kit. Many years ago I bought a 92 Yamaha FZR 600 (sport bike) and bought a Vance and Hines pipe and dyno jet kit. I couldn't wait to see the difference. I had a reputable mechanic install everything and when I rode it afterwards I was very disappointed. It ran like crap and wasn't any faster than it was before. I raced my buddies stock FZR and it was neck and neck. Recently one of my friends now told me that way back when he had a bike he had the exact same problem, so he would never buy a dyno jet kit either. Just go to the dealer and buy a few main jets. They're only about $3.

Old 06-25-2002, 04:51 PM
Trailblazer

yes the dyno jets are different in the respect that they have a different numbering system,example a 140 dyno isnt the same as a 140 stock jet,and they also have a different taper,so you have to use the dyno needle with the dyno jet,but i would say that the performance wouldnt be much different ,if at all.i think it would be best,if you were gonna add a pipe or filter,air box mod or whatever,to just buy like the three or four next bigger stock jets,you'll probably only have to spend 10 to 20 bucks ,same results

Old 06-25-2002, 06:02 PM
Pro Rider

The only diffrence is the needle. You can go down and get your other two jets from the dealer and you will not notice any difrence.SAVE YOUR MONEY!

Old 06-26-2002, 01:48 AM
Pro Rider

As you can see, I have a dynojet kit on my ZRX. It was a night and day difference. Although I did the work myself and did not pay someone else to do it, it turned out wonderfully. I have four friends with same bike and when I did this it made them sick. They came to me so I could do the same thing to their bikes. Now that I have added the cams it is even faster. And as I said before, there is no guessing with the dynojet kit or risking sticking a piston due to incorrect jetting or thinking you have the correct jetting. Also if you need technical support they give you a 1-800 number and are very nice about your questions.

P.S.
Jet it once and be done.

Old 06-26-2002, 11:28 AM
Pro Rider

I have been using dynojet jet kits for around 18 years. I feel for the poeple that respond poorly to them because it tells me rite off the bat that they brought it to a dealer. Dealers have about as much clue on set ups as my unborn son does.

I'm not bashing or saying a dealer doesn't have good machanics, but there is a difference between poeple who work on stock machines and performance minded poeple.

The best way to jet your machine no matter what type jetting you use is to do it your self. you and you alone will be the judge of what works and what doesn't. A person who spends the morning waiting on lunch installing your jet kit with no idea what the charactoristics of your bike or climate, well, just a pure waiste of money.

You will see performance minded poeple and your self for that matter take note to what works and what doesn't for certain machines. Some times it works rite off some times things need to be altered, this is just pure experience.

I'm sorry about every ones bad experiences, but I will with no problem provide dyno sheets comparing stock adjusted jetting to dynojet jetting. For many years I have been trying to find that secret HP gain, going both ways and taking notes. I will be more than happy to run with the top engine builders in the country to show them yes a dynojet system is better than the ones they suggest or provide.

I'm not cocky or think I'm any one, I just have done this for more years than most on this forum have been alive, on so many different machines. So in short get the jet kit, if you are happy with being close, get some shims and stock jetting, no matter to me.

Just a inlightment I wanted to share with you all, not a bash or a stand on anything.

Old 06-26-2002, 04:16 PM
Trailblazer

I still find it hard to believe that you would gain a NOTICEABLE difference with a dyno jet kit over stock jets. Sure the dyno sheet may show an increase of .5 hp, or whatever, but thats not worth $60 to me. When I used to own a Blaster, oh how I had to have the Vitos degree key which, according to the "dyno", was supposed to add 2.55 hp. There was also no way I could go without the high compression gasket kit which, according to the "dyno", was supposed to ad another 1.2 hp. I thought "Wow, adding 3.75 hp to a 14-16 hp motor should make a huge difference." Thats about a 25% hp increase. Well, it didn't make any difference. None that I could tell anyway. It takes quite a hp increase to be able to tell, and the little bit that a dyno jet kit would offer over a stock jetting just isn't worth the money in my book. Just my opinion though.

Old 06-26-2002, 06:00 PM
Trailblazer

the reason for the horsepower gain is only because you are going up in sizes to provide more gas to compensate for more air mods,how could it be that different in just using bigger stock jets,you're still getting more gas,even if there were a slight difference,it would be impossible to tell.you dont just add a jet kit and get more power,you'd be running rich and it would run like crap,the whole point is to add more fuel and air at the same time so it burns right,that dyno jet isnt gonna let anymore gas in then a stock jet.

Quick Reply: Is there a difference between Dyno-Jet and jets from the dealer?