Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

?? About running methanol!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2002, 02:33 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know what you mean about the storm,rust me. I go back on tonight for 3 more days. Hopefully lilli won't hit us as hard. It looks like it is heading your way though, be carefull.

Old 10-25-2002, 03:40 PM
Pro Rider
Default ?? About running methanol!

Ok we did it.

It was very easy, so easy I swore I did something wrong. I did the exact measurements as posted. Drilled the dump tube .022" over the size of the needle. and doubled the size of the main. Gapped the plug at .018".

It took a bit to work the gas out of the carb but when it came out the methanol fired rite up. One percaution I took was to turn my air/fuel mixture screw out to 4 turns from 2 1/2. I found I was way rich. It was cutting out good at 2/3rds throttle. I kept reducing the main size untill I felt comfortable. I believe I should reduce it about 2 more sizes. But I have a 32mm CVK carb and things just were not jiving. The main I had on gas was .052", the alky jet I was running is now .072", and I think it will go down to about .065" before I see a clean plug. But not bad now, very lite brown almost whit.

I ran it hard. We did 300' drag, top speed and fuel consumption test. What we found, now I know the jetting wasn't spot on but it was good enough for a couple rookies. But any way, it took 1 full second off the 300' drag, and had 4 mph added to top speed. The most wierdest part of all we found the alky had just a touch better fuel economy than the gas. Once again I believe this has alot to do with a CV carb.

I have another carb to use for gas if I get it worked out. I believe we are going to keep the converted carb for alky. I believe we can tune the idle screw and needle, wich will probably make are main become larger again.

It idled perfect thow, no drilling or uping the pilot at all.

I had a ton of fun, took us 2 hours to complete the conversion close enough to continue are exsperiments. I have so much I want to try with the methanol but very little time at this point. Any and all updates I come upon I will be back to post it.

A gas and methanol mix for racing has realy looked like a idea for us, but I'll have to see.

Thanks to every one for the help and support.

Old 10-25-2002, 04:37 PM
Pro Rider

Gaff, I was wondering how it was coming. Glad it worked out. I wouldn't mix the gas and methanol due to the great possibility of seperation. Gas is petroluem based and alky is wood based. I don't think they will mix.

I am interested in the final findings.
Later,
Richard.

Old 10-25-2002, 04:50 PM
Pro Rider

Yes Richard, I need way more testing to get comfortable. I noticed the 2 stroke oil I had didn't mix to well. If you let it sit for a few minutes it seperated clearly.

I am well ahead of what I thought I would be. I need to make this mojave carb work so I can continue on with the methanol.

In my 32mm lakota carb the dump tube is removable, so I can convert this one back and forth if need be.

But all and all it turned out graet. There is much for me to learn here so I want to go further with it.
Once again thanks alot Richard[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 10-27-2002, 06:29 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Glad to see it worked out good for you. I want to try it but I am scared I'll mess something up, badly.

Old 01-13-2003, 11:31 PM
Pro Rider

hey, where do you get these fuels? what should I run? help

Old 05-01-2004, 11:03 AM
Pro Rider

This is something I am going to try on the LT..

Updated link for the conversion. Seems as though the one here on the forums no longer exists..

Click here

Alot of replies in here and there, how many of you are still running the methanol? Problems?