Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

?? About running methanol!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2002, 02:37 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For a science project my son has at school we want to run are bikes on methanol. It's only going to be for just a couple dyno runs and to do some exhaust sniffing. The project is on alternative fuel if your wondering.

Other than double the size of our jets, What else would it take to do this. One will be a 4 stroke and the other a 2 stroke.

Any help is very much needed.

Old 09-11-2002, 02:48 PM
Range Rover

I am very intrested in what you are doing. I ran a few searches and found only reasons to run it and how clean it was. Please let me know how it goes like i said i am intrested in the results. in the mean time i am gonna continue looking for sutff i'll let you know if i find anything.

the only info i have found so far is that a menthanol engine is hard to start in cold and that is it toxic and you should be carefule with it.

Old 09-11-2002, 02:50 PM
Range Rover

here is a site that i found that should help alot.

http://www.ctracing.com/alcohol.htm

Old 09-11-2002, 02:59 PM
Pro Rider

I'll let you know everything I find and How it works out. I have never messed with it other than at work, we inject it into oil pipe lines.

Old 09-11-2002, 03:54 PM
Pro Rider

Go HERE to learn how to convert you stock carb to alcohol. Very good information, lots of feed back too[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 09-11-2002, 04:27 PM
Pro Rider

That site is to cool, thanks alot. Very good info[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 09-11-2002, 05:04 PM
Pro Rider

Well, you can search the different forums where I have talked about alky use. Basically, there are a lot of myths about alcohol, and a lot of pros and cons vs gas. I will just touch on my feelings and thoughts. You might also check earlier threads where its use was discussed.

Alky needs at least 10.5:1 compression to run right. But surely if you are using the 330 Lakota as the test mule, it has the compression.

As for jetting, most alky jets are drilled for number sizes instead of fractions of an inch or however they come up with mikuni/keihin sizes. You can't simply say I am using a 180 now, so I will need a 360. Most alky burners have adapted carbs. I personally use a keihin FCR with drilled air jet, removed air jets, different needle taper, larger pilot and mains, and other mods. This is what is needed for a 4 stroke. On two strokes, the trick setup uses a booster jet (check out FTZ's website) which is a venturi on the bell that helps atomize the added fuel. 4-strokes are more forgiving, if your jetting isn't perfect it isn't tottally devistating to the engine. If a 2-stroke leans out due to running out of fuel at WOT, you will fry the engine.

I just stoppped and read the page by CT racing. I can't believe what I am reading. Have they really messed with this for five years? First off, "Methanol is for short duration racing only"? I ride my alky 250x at least once a week for about 2 hours each time. No problems. I will say it again, METHANOL IS NOT CORROSIVE, the moisture it aborbs, is. "Remove any in-line fuel filters"-yeah, what a great idea. Just because it comes from a sealed drum doesn't mean it don't have contaminates. "Methanol equipped atv can pull one tooth higher gearing" uh, you add more power you can normally add more gear. They don't even tell you what to gap your plug at, which is .018 by the way.

They did give a few pieces of helpful info that I was about to mention. Use Klotz uplon fuel lube in the 4-stroke. Klotz Be'nol at 24:1.

I run gas through my engine at the end of each riding day. This flushes the system of the alky. Alcohol will absorb moisture at stated. The moisture is what causes corrosion inside of carbs and rust on cylinder sleeves.

There are many more things to consider, but I am trying to keep the post short and I am in a hurry. The reasons that it won't work as an alternative fuel are major problems. The condensating is the first, second is the shortened range of driving on a given amount of fuel, the fact that twice the fuel means twice the ring wash, alky doesn't burn good when it is cold, and the temperment with humidity. If you PM me, I will answer any questions and try to help in any way. I have an extra 35mm FCR set up for alky that I will be willing to send if you pay shipping.

Check out www.ftzracing.com. I am pretty sure that people who mess with alky will say they have the best carb set up.

I am interested in what happens, please keep me posted.

Old 09-11-2002, 06:36 PM
Pro Rider

Alkyburninx,

Awsome, My son and I was just talking about how to get a hold of you.

This is are test machines, my lakota, wich I changed the compression to 12:1 now so that should work. The other is a 01 CR-80, wich I'll have to calculate the compression due to we did a pro-X top end at higher compression, but did a port timing change, I'll figure this out later.

I'll PM you. I know how poeple jump in and out and come totaly off subject but if we can and this topic survives I'd like to leave it so every one can view the start to end of my new exsperience.

Old 09-14-2002, 05:41 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

You might want talk to AZSAND in the DS forum I know he uses it as well.

I also wanted to keep this up at the top to find out how its going.

Old 09-15-2002, 12:41 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!

Hey there is a dealer called sudco you tell them what carb you have and they can help set you up. I have dual carbs and it ran about 75.00 to converty both carbs. I have two bikes on metanol and i also mix in a little nitro once in a while the power diff is equal to useing nitrous[ive ran that too!!] And the amount of fuel used is not realy that bad. And as for depedabilty i can dune all day with the rest and thats even with nitro in the mix. As for corrosive alky's right its not realy that bad. I fill my tanks and dune all weekend then flush before i head home.alky put i right you should always run a top end lube it also helps to use a fuel scent to ease the smell and effect of the metanol smell.
GOOD LUCK. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

PS I have a ds650 and a honda 440 ex both on metanol.

Quick Reply: ?? About running methanol!