Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

Alcohol or not to Alcohol??!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2000, 11:20 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

b370 i noticed u asked brandon what size paddles he runs, when we drag race it is on dirt/sand type track and we use prowedges. they hook grreat but not too too good in sand like paddles do

Old 04-14-2000, 11:44 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah, I did fail to answser that part of the question. On our tracks we run the pro wedge. It is actually a tire that a llot of people have on the HighDollar turn on a dime lawnmowers. They are a series of crisscrossing finns about 1 inch deep. They have very flexable side walls and acually expand when you start to spin the tires, just like top fuelers. We are the only ones around the country that use them suprisingfly, but they are much faster than a paddle. They are very similar to the minideserts if you have seen them. I've seen some of the pro's use them on the beach races. It is made by ohtsu. They were the stock tire on one of the honda three wheelers, the 125 amybe??

Old 04-15-2000, 10:34 PM
Trailblazer

I've been running a 39mm (oversized 38mm) Mikuni from FTZ and can't get it to work right. In the low to mid R's it rips. I can feel the power over gas, but it falls flat on its face in the high rpm's. It won't tach out 6th gear. I have all the necessary motor work (ported, 16 cc dyno head (250lbs compression), etc, etc. I do run tall gears because I run the bike out on the ice in the winter, but it should still tach-out 6th. My other 250R will pull 6th without a problem.

I had them put on a snowmobile fuel pump to make sure that it gets enough fuel. This is my question...how do you have your bikes set up? Do you use a fuel pump? I think it is leaning out my bike in the upper rpm range. You can tell that the bike leans out. I started digging a hole in the top of my piston and wore off the top of the spark plug. In the low rpm's it runs very fat and fery lean at high rpm's. Should I get rid of the fuel pump? Do you guys run one on your bikes? Any info would be great. Thanks

Old 04-16-2000, 12:32 AM
Pro Rider

My initial response would be that you are running the bowls out of fuel. The fuel pump will help if this is the case. Here is another solution. Most people dont realize that the main jet flows some at low rpm. This can cause you too load up real bad. So in order to get the low to mid to run smooth you have to jet dwon. This kiils your top end jetting. It takes some tinkering to get the low to mid cicuit to run good with the top. You should try and lean the low to mid jets and richen the main. When a alky bike is set up right, you should have to rev it allot to keep it from loading up. That is why it is really only usd in high rpm applications such as drag racing. If your in and out of the throttle allot, it will load up real bad and you think you have to lean it out. I would sugest going up atleast one size on the main, and then drop the needle as low as possible. If it is an ftz carb, then you need to adjust the booster jet as well. Idealy, you wnat the booster to be about 2 turns out. If you feel you are still lean work your way up to 6. If it still isnt right, then you need to go up more on the main. If when you get the top end right and it starts loosing bottom, then lean the pilot down one size. You may have to bring the needle back up if it gets too lean on bottom after changing the pilot. You should also use the largest fuel line you can get. Alcohol burns fast, and you need to keep those bowls full. Also be sure the slide is opening all the way. If it not, then you could be running at 3/4 throttle. I think your problem is definetly fuel starvation, be it lean or the bowl running out.

Old 05-01-2000, 12:51 PM
Pro Rider

Just in case you don't get the E-mail I'm sending. I am very interested in your carb but have a couple more questions about it, get a hold of me if you still have it!!

jnlgoodman@empowering.com