Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

How can i make my 230 faster?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2003, 09:41 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How can i make my 230 faster?

Hi i own a 86 230 quadsport and i am looking for some ways to make it faster without boreing it out, anything will help, thanx.

Old 04-09-2003, 12:14 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my cousin has one. when he bought it it came with spider tracks, he switched to a smaller, lighter tire and noticed a good performance increase. There was a post in the suzuki forums last week talking about 230 mods, do a search and im sure you'll find it, it was full of good info.

Old 04-10-2003, 04:48 AM
Trailblazer

go down hill with a good backwind and strap a rocket and hold on or get another quad that is better than a 230 quadsport

Old 04-18-2003, 01:59 AM
Pro Rider

stephiesdad.....I was thinking the same thing. Ride it off a 200 ft. cliff and I'm sure it will haul azz. Its the sudden stop thats gonna be a b*tch!!!!..LOL[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-19-2003, 10:22 PM
Pro Rider

The best things you can do to a 230 is a cam, heavier valve springs, exhaust,k&n, and jet kit. After that you can change the gearing to suit what type of riding you do. This will also pick what pipe and cam you get. I had a DG Rcm that I liked. It had good mid-top end. I did mostly woods, and hillclimbing. I had my flywheel lightened also. I ran 1 tooth larger in the front and 2 teeth smaller in the back.

Old 04-29-2003, 02:10 PM
Range Rover

Start out with a k&N filter/jet kit, then a DG RCM alloy. Definately put 20 inch tires on it, My prefernce would be Holeshot XCR's for woods or gravel riding. then, drop two teeth off the back sprocket(this will raise your speed from 45 to about 55, next, install a webcam stage I (you need a wiseco piston to run stage II), some chrome-Moly valve springs (to keep both valves from being open at full throttle), have your head mildly ported (to get rid of irregularities in the intake or exhaust so that the air does not swirl as much going into the head or coming out of it) and your valves inspected and ground/replaced at your local small engine shop. I would also install a barnett dirt-digger clutch ( it is recomended that if power is increased by 20%, then a new clutch with heavier springs should be installed), and to top it all off, an oil cooler from four stroke tech (40 degrees cooler). That should be just about everything you can do to increase performance other than a new piston.

Here are the places i found all the stuff for my 230:
Web Cam Stage I: Webcamshafts.com
Alloy DG RCM: http://www.dgperf.com/ATVpages/ATVspecials.asp
K&N fiter: http://www.jlatvproducts.com/catalog/index.htm
Sprockets/chain: www.jlatvproducts.com
Barnett Clutch: jlatvproducts.com
Four Stroke Tech: (814)842-6159 (phone #)
Chrome Moly Springs: webcamshafts.com

Old 05-20-2003, 09:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

hey guys, i have a 91 lt230E I am looking for a jet kit for it but cant find one...are there any websites you know of with some for sale. Also i see that you have taken 2 off the back sprocket, what will that do to the chain, how much smaller will it need to be? Thanks
aaron

Old 05-21-2003, 01:40 PM
Range Rover

I dont believe anyone sells a jet kit for it, you will have to buy everything separate. Taking 2 teeth off the back means you will have to remove one link on the chain. (12-41) gearing to (12-39)

Old 05-21-2003, 03:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the quick reply. I called my local atv parts dealer and they said moose makes a jet kit for it...I am kinda hesitant to believe this since i cant find anyone who sells one on the inet. How did you make your jet kit on your 230? Did you get another carb or just buy different jets? Also you said you would definately put 20inch tires on...why is that? On my bike it seems everytime i get stuck it is because i get hung up on the chain and rotor skidplates, I have 20's on now but was thinking of going to 22's. i dont know how much that extra inch would help but it might help a bit. I did find one "jet kit" on the inet called dial a jet. have you heard of anyone using them and any reviews. I dont really change elevation/temp much but could use a little more torque and horses. one more question,,,you put the gear ratio of 12/41 stock, the stock for mine is 11/41, if i drop the back to 39 i guess the chain will still need 1 less link...just wanting to check myself. Thanks for all your info.

Old 05-22-2003, 01:52 PM
Range Rover

I've noticed that moose has quite a few specialty parts for the LT, along with JLATVPRODUCTS. As far as tires and gearing goes, I would say a 22 inch would be as big as you would want to go. Back in 87 the LT came with 22's stock. The guy i bought mine from had 21 in dunlop tires in the rear. I was able to try some 22's on, and they make very little difference in stability, but add up to an inch of ground clearance when speeds increase. By running 20 inch tires, the mass of the tires is less, and the machine sits lower for better handling. When i added all the stuff to my machin, i asked Micky Dunlap at four stroke Tech how many jet sizes i should go up, and he said three. So i went to my local suzuki store, and bough a jet 2 sizes up, and three sizes up. All the Dial a jet does is mix your gas with air most efficiently for you climate and altitude. Your speed at 11-41 should be around 43mph, 12-41 should be 45mph, 12-39 should be 55mph, and a 13-41 should be 58mph. so if you just want to change your front sproket, that would work too.

Quick Reply: How can i make my 230 faster?