Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

500 sp efi no start. just click click......

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 11:36 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 500 sp efi no start. just click click......

hello all...

I own a 07 500 sportsman efi. the quad has been sitting up most of the spring/summer.

I went to fire her up last week. I turned the key. click click. no start. So I go to pull start her and she fires up second pull. As I pulled started I realized that the recoil rope wouldnt go bsack into the housing correctly. so took the housing off. tightened the spring. As i took the housing off the bendix slipped out so I put it back in so I assume everything is correct.

I went and bought a new battery yesterday. charged the battery for 24 hours on 2 volts.

installed the battery. hoping to see the motor start w/ a fresh battery I turned the key. click click click, no start.

So I put the tach/screen in diagnostic mode to see how many volts I was putting out. the diagnostic read 12.6 volts. but as I turned the key to start the motor the volts go down to 8.5.

what gets me is, this is a new battery.

If anyone can help me Id appreciate it.

ps. does the bendix gear and flywheel gear have to clinch during installiation. Ive always been under the assumption the bendix flys out and grabs the flywheel gear on its own.

sorry for the long post

Old 08-09-2011, 04:31 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Dropping down to 8 volts usually means somethings in a bind. Since its been sitting, just TAP the starter body lightly with a hammer first,could have a flat spot on the armature and just may need a little help! Plus check the starter wire for any corrosion or being loose. If that doesn't help,probably will have to check bendix out and grease it up,plus check that the small inserts in the recoil and engine case that the bendix rides in are not cracked or burred, can cause binding. I've over looked these before! Bendix teeth rides slightly behind flywheel and kicks out to engage the flywheel teeth. Hope this helps. OPT

Old 08-09-2011, 06:04 PM
Pro Rider

THANKS OPT!!!

the clickings coming from the silenoid? so I assume the silenoid is sending to the starter right?

I tapped on the starter. no luck. Im like you, Im thinkin the bendix be not clinching with the flywheel or in a bind of somesort

Old 08-09-2011, 06:17 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Check starter lead with a test light or meter when you hit the start button.If test light lights up then possible starter is bad,plus check connections on solenoid as they can become corroded plus you can "jump" the connections on the solenoid to see if starter operates. Lot of different thinks can happen when they sit up awhile,OR could be the bendix locking things up as you mentioned??. Keep us updated. OPT

Old 08-10-2011, 07:39 AM
Pro Rider

heres a thought......

could I take the bendix out and turn the key. if the starter doesnt turn then it has to be the starter for there is no bendix to bind.

this is just a thought. Im not even sure the starter will operate/move w/out the bendix.

I will try everything you mentioned and keep you posted.

thanks again OPT. I dont post much, but am a frequent reader. Your (or should I c say were: retirement) a good mechanic and Your worth your weight in gold on this forum.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:55 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Starter can operate with out the bendix. Should turn pretty fast. If starter turns slowly then could be time to replace it as it may not have enough "UMPH" to turn bendix??. If starter doesn't kick in when you hit the start button though,check that the starter is getting power from the solenoid with a test light or "jump" the solenoid! I'd like to have 228 pounds of gold : OPT

Old 08-10-2011, 09:31 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Mine did the click thing, turned out to be a dirty brush in the starter that was sticking. I took the starter apart and cleaned and freed up the bush and its been good for 3 years now.

Old 08-12-2011, 03:27 PM
Pro Rider

welp I turned the key with the test light held on the starter wire and she lit up, so I reckon im getting power to the starter.

so tomorrow im going to pull the recoil housing off and take out the bendix. If the starter doesnt turn over with the bendix out then my only conclusion isbad starter.

I jumped the silenoid and still got the click click coming off the silenoid.

What do you guys think?

thanks,

Ross

Old 08-12-2011, 04:57 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Sounds like the solenoid is ok since its shooting 12 volts to starter. You can try clean up the old starter if its the problem like TLC mentioned ,but if its the bendix locking up and needs replacing, go with an OEM bendix as most of the aftermarket ones I installed didn't hold up! If starter needs replacement check DB electric,prices aren't too bad compared to OEM! OPT

Old 08-13-2011, 07:37 PM
Pro Rider

heres been my mornin

I took the bendix off still click click click.

took the header pipe off so i could get to the starter wire so I could clean it up, Cleaned it up, tightened everything down. click click click.

By now Im begining to prepare my head the steps for changing the starter.

As im thinking and pondering that in my mind, I take the ball pin and tap the starter one last time.

I tap it three good times, turned the key, and WAAALAAAA!!! the starter shaft started spinning a blue million

Now I wasnt paying much attention but I think I tapped the front of the starter. somewhere where I couldnt get to w/ the header pipe in the way.

Reinstalled everything and Ive been riding all evening.

thanks again.

Quick Reply: 500 sp efi no start. just click click......