Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

500 sp efi no start. just click click......

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 10:55 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine also did that, when I taped the starter is can free up the sticking bush but it will get stuck again. I,d love to know how many good starters where thrown out just because the brush needed a cleaning and lube.

I think my starter is better than new, because new starters have zero lube on the brush slide guide to prevent the smallest amount of moister from causing corrosion and sticking the brush down the road.

Old 08-14-2011, 11:16 AM
Pro Rider

when it does it again ( and im sure it will) ill probably disassemble the starter and clean/oil the brushes.

I knew dam well in the back of my head the starter wasnt bad. the bikes been adult ridden, garage kept and very well maintained/clean its entire life.

I guess I really need to start riding it more and not let it sit up.

what kind of lube did you use?

Old 08-14-2011, 03:21 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Starter armatures can have "flat spots" that will stick on brushes if they've been sitting up. That why I said tap on it and see if it frees it. Sometimes they will keep on working ok if under constant use,other times you have to tear em apart,clean and /or replace the brush kit or if the armature shaft is grooved, best to replace the starter. We had starters rebuilt at a generator shop for awhile,but quit after most of them would last only about 6 months.Check DB Electric starter prices,sometimes cheaper to replace than repair. OPT

Old 08-14-2011, 08:59 PM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

Like TLC has stated, The brushes can become corroded over time and stick. The same thing happened to my 2007 last year and it rarely sits more than a couple weeks without being ridden. Cleaning and lubing the brushes on mine did the trick. If the starter is to bad to clean or rebuild the brushes check out DB electric for a new starter.Starters, Alternators and more for Cars, Trucks, Tractors and ATVs

Old 10-02-2011, 08:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default electrical problems, who needs them?

Polaris 500 Sportman, I get one spark every time I reset the switch and crank, only one and thus she will not start? Any ideas?

Old 10-03-2011, 12:51 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Welcome to the forum!What year model? efi OR carb? Slide the emergency on and off switch back and forth several times,plus push the reverse over ride button several times and see if you have a good spark then (have had this happen before) If no change,then you can pull the back wire from the cdi (if a carb model) and see if has spark.If an 05-06 carb model could have an ecm problem. Or could be that stator and flywheel need to be cleaned? More info than just a 500 Sportsman PLEASE!! OPT