Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

I need an engine for my 1993 polaris 350L 4x4 atv??? PLEASE HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 06:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation I need an engine for my 1993 polaris 350L 4x4 atv! PLEASE HELP!!!

I am needing to know what engines will fit my 1993 Polaris 350L 4x4 Trail Boss. i have heard that some 400's will and some other 350's and 300's will. i would like a 350 or bigger if possible. Can anyone tell me where i can buy a good running engine that will fit my ATV without me having to modify anything. please if anyone can help i would appreciate it very much. and i also need to know where i can buy a good running engine for my ATV at? i am looking for a price around $1000 or less cause thats what it would cost for me to totally rebuild my old one, plus all the work i would have to do. again if you can help i would really appreciate it. (in advance)

Old 08-07-2012, 06:15 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Welcome to the forum! It would be easier to rebuild the engine you have because you would have to have the complete engine harness for the other engine if you do a swap out,plus not all connections would be the same when hooking up to your components. Plus if you get a used engine it may not be in much better shape than the one you have. Could be a can of worms. OPT

Old 08-08-2012, 09:49 AM
Weekend Warrior
Question

Thanks for your reply. I have already started to rebuild the engine and after i got it completely tore down i found out that there is only about 4 or 5 things that don't need replaced. also they don't make alot of the parts that i need and i can't even find them on eBay. that was the the reason i was wanting to get another engine. if you have a solution please let me know,
Thanks again

Old 08-08-2012, 12:25 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Just like cars,after 10 years or so some parts become scarce or NLA. It's even worse with atvs since a smaller amount of parts are made to begin with. Even worse on a 19 year old machine. You could be patient and possibly find the 350 parts you need,or possibly find a 400 that you could pull the engine,wiring harness,etc,but still a lot of work.Or do as a lot of them do and part it out and get a later model running machine. OPT

Old 08-08-2012, 06:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Question

I would part it out but there aren't really any good parts to part out. but would you be able to tell me how/where i could get a 400 engine? and how could i tell if it would work on my atv? would you happen to know about how much a good running 400 engine should cost? Is there a way i could get a list of engines that would work in my atv? i don't know alot about atv's since this is my first one, but i love mechanics and do alot of mechanical work on other vehicles, is there a website that sells used atv engines? Thanks soooooooo much for your help

Old 08-08-2012, 08:35 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

400 engine will bolt in with little trouble.You will need the 400 harness,cdi,etc and be able to patch it into the 350. You just have to expect to have to work on it also as I really don't know off hand of anyone that sells rebuilt atv engines. Best bet is to search wrecking yards,Ebay,Craigslist,etc. If you deviate from a 350 or 400 engine as a replacement then you can expect motor mount differences,etc along the way.. OPT

Old 08-10-2012, 06:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

thanks again. Could you look at this link and tell me if this 400 engine would hook up to my atv? it looks like the mounting places are alomst exactly the same as my old engine. but all of the hoses and wires don't look like they are in the same spot, so i was wondering if it would still work. I need some advice from someone who knows more about it than myself. Thank you again for all of your help!

Here is the link:

2002 POLARIS SCRAMBLER 400 4X4 ENGINE MOTOR NICE RUNS STRONG | eBay

Old 08-11-2012, 05:30 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Polaris350l4x4
thanks again. Could you look at this link and tell me if this 400 engine would hook up to my atv? it looks like the mounting places are alomst exactly the same as my old engine. but all of the hoses and wires don't look like they are in the same spot, so i was wondering if it would still work. I need some advice from someone who knows more about it than myself. Thank you again for all of your help!

Here is the link:

2002 POLARIS SCRAMBLER 400 4X4 ENGINE MOTOR NICE RUNS STRONG | eBay
Again,the 400 engine will bolt up, BUT you would also need the 2002 400 cdi, the 400 wiring harness,regulator rectifier, because your 350 harness and modules will be different and would be hard trying to integrate into a later model 400. Wiring colors and connectors won't match!!A lot of splicing and connecting it and still may not work!! I've seen this tried before.The engine's cost ($800) is worth more than your 19 year old machine! Just trying to save you some big problems. Best to find the 350 parts you need or a later model atv that's running! OPT

Old 08-11-2012, 04:00 PM
Weekend Warrior
Smile

Thanks again. I do realize that the engine is worth more than my atv, but i figured that since i have already modified the body the way i want it and have upgraded it to where it fits my needs, that it would be worth it to fix it up and get it running again. and i also have invested $1900 in it since i have had it. and it is kinda doubtful that i could get a good running atv for $800 so i think that i will go ahead and get this atv fixed up. I have already found the regulator/rectifier, 2002 400 cdi box, and the 2002 400 wiring harness and all of it together comes to around $985. Thanks again for all of you help

Old 08-11-2012, 04:46 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Good luck and drive it until the wheels fall off,same thing I plan on doing with my old pick up OPT

Quick Reply: I need an engine for my 1993 polaris 350L 4x4 atv??? PLEASE HELP!!!