Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

99 Sportsman 500 high rpm awd engagement

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 09:43 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Sportsman 500 high rpm awd engagement

After scouring this forum(and a few others) for the last few hours I found a couple problems like that I'm having but no resolutions. I did the home-made spring stiffener that's in the stickies and even with stendori warning about don't go too far down and damaging the cv joint, I did. I proceeded to take the axle out of the strut and take the boot off to reassemble the axle and when I got it all back together and refilled I took it for a ride to see how much difference it made(A LOT actually(thanks for the info)) and the front end felt shaky during hard acceleration. I got it in a position that I knew it would spin in 2wd(awd switch OFF) and it worked like it should until it got up a good bit in rpms and all of a sudden the right front kicked in and about snatched the grips out of my hands. I tried the same thing with the awd on and it worked exactly like it should and again with it off and got a much too high in rpms engagement of the front right again. It also does the same thing in reverse btw. I did notice that the hub was a little stiff while turning it with the wheel off even before I torqued the axle nut down. Any Ideas on what to look at, or look at first? Sorry for the long post but I wanted to give all the info I have about it.

Old 06-23-2014, 04:11 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Awd engagement while in two wheel drive mode is usually because of worn parts,usually the armature plate becoming magnetized or hubs torqued past 12 foot pounds.I'd pull the hub back off and if the plate sticks to the hub seal sleeve with awd off,I'd replace it. Plus recheck your work,then preload the hub bearings to 15 pounds,back off 1/2 turn and torque to proper setting.Polaris Scrambler 500 4x4 -- Front Hub Work - YouTube

Old 06-23-2014, 07:52 PM
Pro Rider

I'm pretty sure I found the problem after a complete disassembly. Not sure which order the pics are in but one is tabs away and the other is tabs towards the camera. It's cupped most of the way around, has a slight kink in it, a thin score mark from where it must have fallen down during reassembly, and the back side has a small gouge and wide wear marks all the way around it. Is there a trick to putting these back together? or just kinda wiggle it around until the axle goes all the way back thru? I didn't have to force it yesterday, but it did take some convincing that it needed to be that way. Edit: First pic from the left is the side view, second is tabs away and third is tabs towards the camera

Attached Thumbnails 99 Sportsman 500 high rpm awd engagement-20140623_202631.jpg   99 Sportsman 500 high rpm awd engagement-20140623_204041.jpg   99 Sportsman 500 high rpm awd engagement-20140623_204059.jpg  
Old 06-24-2014, 07:24 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Armature plates are the cheapest part of the system and I always replaced them when I tore into the awd system. Other factors also can be the problem such as ground down strut casting,seal sleeve face worn,etc.At least replace BOTH armature plates if the other parts show to be okay. Two wear rings on the back is normal and to be expected,but it can go too far. If the plate(s) is cupped it's either worn too thin,gotten hot,or the hub nut has been torqued down too tight.

Old 06-24-2014, 08:18 AM
Pro Rider

Do you mean both armature plates one on each side? And I don't doubt that I went too tight on it with as aggravated as I was by the time I got the cv back together. The seals and bearings look fine and the roller cage looks great and no other wear marks on anything so I think I just over did it on the axle nut.

Old 06-24-2014, 11:03 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Might as well replace both plates as cheap as they are. One on each side then you wont have to worry about the other side doing this a little later on down the road. Maybe it's just me working on these all the time,but when I had a problem on one hub I always checked out the other side also. Both are under the same stress,have about the same amount of wear on parts,etc. Just preventative maintenance.

Old 06-24-2014, 05:56 PM
Pro Rider

They're both ordered and should be here by friday! They were cheap enough at the dealer to do both ($23 and change) and they're almost always 2 or 3 days out. And this will give me the opportunity to thoroughly clean all of said parts individually and do an inspection of everything since it is new-to-me. Thanks again OPT! As always you're a wealth of knowledge!!

Edit: I noticed that the guy in the video said the manual told him to grease everything, That's not right is it? Everything should be oil bathed in this special fluid and I would think that the grease would make it not work properly.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:23 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Don't lather up the bearings with grease! Just a light coat around the bearings if you wish or just simply coat them in Demand Drive fluid.Main thing is for them to be lubricated when assembled.