Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Polaris 2202602 Kokusan ignition kit VS the RMStator RM22957

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 09:47 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris 2202602 Kokusan ignition kit VS the RMStator RM22957

I know there is a lot of info here about the 2202602 ignition upgrade for 2002 Sportsman 700.

RMStator has an alternative which they claim will fix the same problem and for at least half the price. To spend $500-$600 on an ignition kit for such an old quad seems like a waste of money.

Anyone used the RMStator? Reviews, thoughts?

Does a guy need to pre toubleshoot before getting either kit? I know for a fact I have very weak spark in one cyclinder and no spark in the other.

Thanks in advance!

Old 02-25-2015, 07:25 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Just get the Kokusan kit and save some frustration. If the lighting coil in the Ducati stator goes out that the RM kit uses for the ignition, and it can as I've found out,then you're stuck,have to find another crappy Ducati stator.To me it's just a patch job or bypass to save a few bucks. Get the complete Kokusan kit that includes a new stator,flywheel,cdi,coil,regulator and harness kit,then be done with it.

Old 02-25-2015, 05:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the reply.

Maybe i should have stated that I only want to get the machine running so I can sell it so I'm not real keen to spend any more than I have to. Is there a way to determine if my current stator is bad?

Is it possible that an undersized or bad battery would have anything to do with weak and no spark? It does turn over normally with the elec start but I believe the previous owner put a too small battery on (ad said it neeed a new battery). Though I have run it for 2 years on that battery. At one point got the STATR error so replaced the stator and seemed to run fine until current problem.

thanks!

Old 02-25-2015, 06:45 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Calls for a YB or a YTX30LBS 30 amp battery.Possible a bad battery can do a lot of things,just have it load tested to eliminate it as a problem if you want,but weak spark,back firing,killing them only to not have them restart were the most common symptoms.ALL the Ducati ignition systems were bad. Some just took a while to rear their ugly head.That's why when you click on Polaris parts replacement on the stator for your model it supercedes to the 2202602 kit. Item #2.Dirt Cheap Yamaha & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse This is your call on this or the RM kit.Hope it would hold up for the next owner. Before the kits came out I replaced stators and cdi/coil packs back and forth.Stators would go out,then later they'd be back and the cdi/coil pack would be bad. Finally when I went to order another stator,saw the update kit had been added,but never got a bulletin on it because Polaris knew they were junk,but didn't want to advertize it.

Old 02-25-2015, 07:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for all the tips. I'm not trying to leave the new buyer in a crap shoot but at the same time don't want to goo too crazy on expenses.

As far as battery - what is in there is just a 14ah which is half what it calls for. Could this be my problem possibly? I'll have it load tested but maybe it won't matter if the amps are that far off?

Old 02-25-2015, 07:48 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

I'd at least have the correct battery in it not the 14 amp battery as this is for the 500 and lower atvs. Mainly they use the 30 amp battery for the fact it does take quite a bit of amperage to turn this twin over. Could it be the problem? If the battery solves the problem,I'd sell it quick while it's still running as many,many Ducati ignition systems still died that had the correct battery installed.

Old 05-11-2015, 08:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

I got the RM stator kit and it fixed my no spark issue. I had the machine running only once with the new kit and I cant vouch for how long it will continue working since im in the middle of doing a top end rebuild right now.

Old 05-12-2015, 06:14 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

I'll try to cross my fingers for you(if I can) but if the lighting coil that Rm uses for the ignition system goes south,you're back to square one. I've had Ducati lighting coils fail in the past,that's why I've always been leery of using this short cut instead of chunking the whole Ducati system in favor of the dependable Kokusan system. Again I hope it holds up for you.