Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

2001 Sportsman 500HO - Rear Axle Removal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 10:37 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Sportsman 500HO - Rear Axle Removal?

After 14 years of use (I purchased it new), it is finally time to consider pulling the rear axles and either replace them or repair the CV joints. There is a "clicking" coming from one of them. I have serviced them in the past on the ATV, but they have NEVER been removed. The ATV has always been well cared for and still looks very good - meaning there is no serious abuse - but it has seen a lot of water and mud over the years!

What is the current wisdom on removing the rear axles? I have seen a variety of "mild to wild" approaches over the years - the best (to see!) being the one that some guy had it hanging from a chain connected to the axle! Has anyone come up with a way that usually works and does minimal to no damage?

Thanks! Paul

Old 04-17-2015, 10:49 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

I took mine off to change the CV boot. Rag wench and hammer. This is the front but works on the back the same. FF to 2 minutes in.

Old 04-17-2015, 11:13 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Click clacking is normal after a period of time on rear drive shafts. Usually it's the plunging joint that make noise when you either back up or turn at slow speeds.Ball bearing channels widen and make noise. Same thing on the bearing cage on the cv joint. Problem is if you replace the plunging joint or the cv joint, it places added stress on the other joint and soon it can start making noise. Then to replace it,it costs more this way than to replace the whole drive shaft assy at one time and be done with it! Found this out the hard way by doing this.As cheap as some aftermarket drive shafts are now,replacing one or both joints and just reusing you shaft costs too much. $70 and you're done.http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polaris-Sportsman-rear-left-right-cv-axle-335-400-500-1999-2000-2001-2002-/251685786225?hash=item3a99a45271&vxp=mtr

Old 04-17-2015, 11:21 AM
Trailblazer

I have no issue with dealing with the CV joints - updated plenty. My question relates to the removal of the shaft from the rear end - that seems to be the trick! I remember trying a few years ago, but couldn't pull them out!

Thanks!

Originally Posted by TLC
I took mine off to change the CV boot. Rag wench and hammer. This is the front but works on the back the same. FF to 2 minutes in.

Old 04-17-2015, 11:24 AM
Trailblazer

I actually do have a complete spare that I bought a few years ago.

I am primarily looking for advise on removing it from the rear end! Attempts a few years ago were unsuccessful, but I didn't get too aggressive with it either!

Thanks!

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Click clacking is normal after a period of time on rear drive shafts. Usually it's the plunging joint that make noise when you either back up or turn at slow speeds.Ball bearing channels widen and make noise. Same thing on the bearing cage on the cv joint. Problem is if you replace the plunging joint or the cv joint, it places added stress on the other joint and soon it can start making noise. Then to replace it,it costs more this way than to replace the whole drive shaft assy at one time and be done with it! Found this out the hard way by doing this.As cheap as some aftermarket drive shafts are now,replacing one or both joints and just reusing you shaft costs too much. $70 and you're done.Polaris Sportsman Rear Left Right CV Axle 335 400 500 1999 2000 2001 2002 | eBay

Old 04-17-2015, 11:29 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Usually just short quick "rabbit" style jerks and I could get them out with no problem. Yes on some they were a little stubborn and that's where some one with a pry bar behind the plunging joint,a little penetrating oil and occasionally heat from a propane torch could remove the stubborn ones. Sometimes even removing the other side,then you can just impact it out. Rarely had to use a slide puller. Plus always use anti seize on the splines and that helps in future repairs/replacements.

Old 04-27-2015, 01:03 AM
Pro Rider

I've just had this issue. Penetrating oil helped over a few days. Could only eventually pull one side out then managed to knock the other out. What made the biggest difference for me was leaving the hub assembly on the shaft. The extra weight definitely helped the "rabbit" jerking (is that an official Polaris term?).

Best of luck tho since its been in there for 13 years. Mine was hard enough after just 4.

jF

Old 04-27-2015, 10:15 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Short quick "rabbit style" jerking on the shaft is similar to the way an impact wrench works.Short,constant jerks. Plus it's a reference to an old saying techs used years ago. Had to to do with the mating habits of rabbits. First time I saw this ritual I understood the meaning..