Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Toggle switch for Electronic Power Steering?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 08:41 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Toggle switch for Electronic Power Steering?

Hello all,

I'm new to the forums but definitely not new to Polaris ATV's. I have loved and cherished all 7 of my Polaris ATV's that I have owned over the years lol...Anyways, I recently purchased a used 2012 Sportsman 850 with EPS with only 160 miles on it and 24.8 hours (I know, crazy!). I have never owned an ATV with EPS and can honestly say I'm really not a fan of it! I was wondering, is there anyone out there that has created a type of toggle switch to switch this feature on and off? I'm sure it could come in use for plowing, maybe tighter trails and such, but for what I'm using it for currently, it's more of a nuisance.

Also, there is a medium-to-high pitched variable whining noise, specifically right around the 35-45mph mark in the rear shaft it sounds like. Is this normal for this year/model of Polaris? It's loudest is when I'm on the throttle. When I let off the throttle the noise is considerably lower. Any help would be greatly appreciated in these two subjects!

Thank You!

Old 07-21-2016, 09:06 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

First one I've heard that didn't like eps,but to each his own. ANY system can be defeated or toggled if you wish,but expect steering to be harder than one without eps. Just find the main power wire leading to the power steering unit and toggle it or its main ground wire.The service manuals wiring schematic can help you on that one.2012 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EPS Service Manual PDF Download As far as the whining noise,give it a little more time.Noise is more than likely coming from the ring and pinion in the rear gear case and takes time for some to break in. We had that complaint on some new 2011 models on gear whine until they had a couple hundred miles on them. Plus with almost 25 hrs,it's coming up on time to do a break in oil change and a fluid change in the gear case and rear end may help.

Old 07-21-2016, 09:38 AM
Weekend Warrior

I do like the EPS in low speed conditions, but in the 40-50-60mph range it does a lot of walking and a little tough to handle (It might be because I'm simply not used to it). It could be the ITP Blackwater tires too, monster tires with a lot of tread.

I'm assuming if I do go through with installing a toggle switch, I'm going to get error codes on my display? As far as the whining noise, I'll see if it gets worst or just stays the same after I do a fluid change on everything.

Thanks!

Old 07-21-2016, 12:31 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think you'd be better off just selling it and buying one without eps if you hate eps that much. I have never heard of anyone not liking the assist eps gives before either. I guess perhaps the Polaris system might be a bit twitchy at higher speeds but the alternative of having no eps on that 800 lb quad would be extremely heavy steering. You'd get a serious workout at slow speeds for sure, especially with those aggressive tires. It would be no fun to ride.

Old 07-22-2016, 10:55 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well my trouble is I actually do like it at low speeds. But when I get up around 60mph plus, it does a lot of odd movements. It could very well just be the tires. And as I said, I've never been on an EPS machine before, so I probably just need to get used to it.

Thanks for the replies!

Old 07-22-2016, 11:57 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Once you get used to it you'll probably be like most people and can't live with out it.

Old 07-22-2016, 01:06 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

At 60 mph, most 4x4 quads don't handle that well. I know a Sportsman 850 will go quite a bit faster than that even. That nice plush suspension travel that works great at slow speeds compounds handling at high speeds.

Old 07-22-2016, 03:36 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know if it's my quad or just me but it has a tendency to wander around. It isn't noticeable at low speeds but gets worse the faster I go. At 55 MPH it's kind of hard to keep on the right side of the road. I only go fast like that when I'm trying to catch up with my friends. I don't know if EPS would be better or worse.

Old 07-22-2016, 04:35 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

People sometime forget about tire sealant also and what it can do on wheel balance. On some models and tires at higher speeds they can get down right scary.

Old 07-22-2016, 09:58 PM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not just go in and pull out the relay. The EPS light will go on and you will hate it. When you get tired of the heavy handles, you can put the relay back in.