Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Carb Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 05:32 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb Help Needed

I have an 06 600 HO that sat in the garage for about 14 months. It pours fuel out the bottom of the carb in the outlet tube close to a tank every 24hrs if I don't turn the fuel off. I pulled the carb and cleaned it with carb cleaner reinstalled it into the wheeler and it did fine for about the first hour then started doing it again. Once it starts pouring fuel out the line the wheeler start running horribly as it is way to rich and just getting by without flodding out. Anyone have any ideas on what it may cause this issue? Other than the float sticking.

Old 08-04-2012, 10:31 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Welcome to the forum! If a carbs been setting 14 months(without any fuel stabilizer) a simple cleaning usually wont do! If gas is coming out the over flow,best to replace the float needle and seat along with making sure you can see through the carb jets,thoroughly cleaning the carb bowl of any residue. Compressor with an air blower helps also. This should take care of the problem. Plus I would change the oil and filter and check the machine out front to rear if you haven't done so already. OPT

Old 08-04-2012, 11:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks OPT. I did that today as i found a lot of info on that in my researches at 4AM last night. Now that i have changed the Seat and needle it has started leaking from higher up on the carb. I have changed the gasket on the bowl and it is still leaking fuel not sure where it is coming from as the top of the bowl down is wet. Any recommendation would be appreciated.

Old 08-04-2012, 11:36 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by woody82
Thanks OPT. I did that today as i found a lot of info on that in my researches at 4AM last night. Now that i have changed the Seat and needle it has started leaking from higher up on the carb. I have changed the gasket on the bowl and it is still leaking fuel not sure where it is coming from as the top of the bowl down is wet. Any recommendation would be appreciated.
First off let's back up a little Didn't notice at first what machine you said you have. Don't you mean a 500 or 700! Anyway the 500 are the carbs that are hard to keep from leaking a little through the over flow anyway(BST34)The 700 is a little better to work with. You can try to bend the float tab gently to where the fuel will shut off a little quicker and see if this solves the problem. OPT

Old 08-04-2012, 11:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

OPT
It is a 500 HO. I have gotten it to stop leaking through the drain hole with the tube with a new needle and seat. Now it has decided to leak from the top of the bowl or higher as the bottom half of the carb is wet on the outside. I believe it is the bowl gasket. Your thoughts.

Old 08-04-2012, 11:47 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Go back through the carb and make sure the plastic float assy is compressing the needle seat down properly,plus make sure the float needle hasn't slipped off the the float tang. You just getting too much fuel into the carb.Plus just check the bowl gasket for any pinched places. OPT

Old 08-04-2012, 11:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

Will do thank you for all the info. I will let you know what I come up with

Old 08-06-2012, 08:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

OPT,
Thanks for the helpful advise. I bent the tab a little and adjusted the needle in the diaphragm and it worked out great got it running smooth up to 7000 RPMs. Then its starts to flood itself out just enough to start back firing and spitting some smoke out. Is there a cure or is that normal around that RPM range while it is in park?

Old 08-06-2012, 08:51 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

At that rpm you're probably hitting the limiter. Just ride it and see ow it does. OPT

Old 08-06-2012, 11:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

Will do thanks for the info will get it out this upcoming weekend.