Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

2000 335 Speedometer trouble

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 07:35 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Your model has the terminal board in the center. All you do is trace the gray shift switch wire to the board. Unplug it and insert it in the red/white terminal section.This should allow the awd button to work. On the throttle cable you can check it under the panel also for any binding.If you ever run into me just buy me an iced tea.. Terminal board is item #39.

Attached Thumbnails 2000 335 Speedometer trouble-3f22b7c14c994dae1ba16afc4f20f6306e08dcd8.png  
Old 03-11-2017, 07:10 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Your model has the terminal board in the center. All you do is trace the gray shift switch wire to the board. Unplug it and insert it in the red/white terminal section.This should allow the awd button to work. On the throttle cable you can check it under the panel also for any binding.If you ever run into me just buy me an iced tea.. Terminal board is item #39.
I got one culprit out of the way - the throttle was sticking because of some ugly aftermarket grips that were making it bind. I jerked them out of the way in a hurry.

The gray wire thing is giving me a fit, though. I am trying to follow any wiring from the shifter but I see and feel no wires whatsoever. Under the hood I see bigger gray wires that lead to the 2 terminals that I grounded the brown wires the other night. Those 2 blocks have a bigger gray wire coming into each one and a jumper gray wire to each other.

And I'm sorry - is the terminal block on the left here in the photo? I see a white and red striped wire on the right but just a solid red on the left.

Old 03-11-2017, 07:13 PM
Trailblazer

Better shot of the wire cluster on the right side.

Old 03-12-2017, 05:17 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Look to the upper left of the items in your pics that show the wiring from the stator to the cdi and coil. If you have the 2000 model should be a terminal board I showed on the thumbnail pic.There you can find the wires that run from the board to the gear shifter switch.

Old 03-18-2017, 08:17 PM
Trailblazer

Look to the upper left of the items in your pics that show the wiring from the stator to the cdi and coil. If you have the 2000 model should be a terminal board I showed on the thumbnail pic.There you can find the wires that run from the board to the gear shifter switch.
It just got out of the 20s at night so I can work with it now - I'll get a picture to you soon. I was going to try to change the brake pads - and rounded off one of the wheel lugs. Are there some better replacement lugs with higher walls besides these little ones that are hard to grip?

Old 03-19-2017, 08:01 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Never had any problems with these 9/16"(14mm) lug nuts. Use PB blaster or liquid wrench.

Old 03-28-2017, 10:49 PM
Trailblazer

Never had any problems with these 9/16"(14mm) lug nuts. Use PB blaster or liquid wrench.
I ended up having to chisel the lug nut off because the lug thread apparently was damaged. Got the brake pads all replaced and got rid of the squeal in the front end! I also replaced all the small lug nuts with bigger ones that are very easy to get off.

I hope to get under the hood this weekend to check on this 4wd problem - I'll try to get a picture up here.

Old 03-24-2021, 08:04 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ahhh.. I was looking at the AA model that had the mechanical speedo. Other 2000 model 335s had the newer electronic speedo. The older one you could find for about 150 bucks.Newer style is double that. As far as grounding the wires this was mainly to regain awd ground that went through the speedo. Jumping the brown/white to brown or to a good frame ground bypassed the speedo ground and sometimes helped restore awd also. Ground shouldn't have gone through it to begin with for the awd.The one you probably looked at was from the awd connector browns to a common ground. Long thin wires that could loose ground and this was a good fix. Hope you can get the speedo fixed and save some $$ also.
Hey Guys,
I have the mechanical speedometer and the cable is broken.(1999 Polaris Sportsman 335) Do I need the Speedo in order for the AWD to work? I can't get the awd to work. I replaced one of the wheel coils as it wasn't magnetizing - now both are receiving signal and magnetizing but still no awd.
Also for some reason, I cannot get the right adjustment on the shifting linkage. On a slight turn I can get the High gear to engage but the reverse will not. Turn the linkage the other way slightly and I gain reverse but loose High gear. Could there be another issue? The awd light doesn't come on either. What else should I look for?