Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

05' ATP 500 fault codes

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 03:24 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05' ATP 500 fault codes

The display wrench is flashing 10 times when the key is turned on. What could it be telling me? The engine ran great when parked but after draining all fuel from tank and carb it will not fire at all. I opened the drain at the carb bowl, so it's getting gas. Installed a new fuel pump too.

The wrench flashing has been on for over 3 years and it ran fine even after sitting for a couple of months at a time.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 03-11-2018, 05:16 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

This model has the ecm that has the circuit breakers along with controlling several different functions. This may or may not be part of the problem but eliminate the basics first. Do you have spark? Has the machine been sitting up for an extended period with out stabilizers? If so the problem could be that jets could be stopped up. If you don't have a manual this can help on the spedo trouble shooting along with your other problem.2005 Polaris ATP 500 Service Manual PDF Download

Old 03-12-2018, 10:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

It runs like new again!!
The problem was the throttle and choke cable were in a bind under the left front fender between the front rack mount. I removed the front fender and rack to check the wiring and to install the new fuel pump.
When I reinstalled the cables got pinched and bound.
Hope this info helps someone down the road.

Thanks to "old Polaris tech" for the prompt response!

Old 03-13-2018, 11:21 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

What probably happened was when the cable was pinched it was the same as a tree limb grabbing it and this caused slack in the cable and the etc contacts in the throttle housing would touch.This would kill spark until the cable was removed from a bind.This has happened to people before on these throttle cables. Glad that you were able to find it. This may or may not have anything to do with the speedo flashing,but the manual is still a good thing to consider for any other problem that may crop up in the future.

Old 03-15-2018, 07:48 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ATP500driver
The display wrench is flashing 10 times when the key is turned on. What could it be telling me? The engine ran great when parked but after draining all fuel from tank and carb it will not fire at all. I opened the drain at the carb bowl, so it's getting gas. Installed a new fuel pump too.

The wrench flashing has been on for over 3 years and it ran fine even after sitting for a couple of months at a time.

Any help would be appreciated.
Is it still flashing ? This is for the service reminder .

Old 03-15-2018, 08:45 AM
Weekend Warrior

Yep, still flashing. I sent you a pm.

Old 03-15-2018, 01:26 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Thought it was the check engine light. Wrench is the service indicator.To enter the diagnostics mode to clear,reset or to turn off:
1. Turn the key switch off and wait 10 seconds.
2. Set the park brake and shift the transmission to
neutral.
3. Hold the mode/reverse override button as you
turn the key switch on.
4. Release the switch as soon as the display is
activated.
Use the mode/reverse override button to toggle
through the diagnostic screens.
You can either turn the wrench section off or set it to flash at say 50/75 hrs for the next service interval.
[u
This is easy to find in the manual along with a lot of other service related items.Here's free pdf manual for the 2005 ATP330/500.https://www.mediafire.com/file/q8fg8...ice_Manual.pdf

Old 05-06-2021, 11:38 AM
Weekend Warrior
Angry 2006 Sportsman 500 HO ATP Problems

I have a 06 500 ATP and the wrench flashes when you first start then goes away after 10 seconds. My problem is the gas indicator on the screen does not appear. I see some wires that are not connected to anything by the ECM. Going to Install new ECM as my coolant fan does not turm on as well. Plus machine has other issue's while riding