Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

95 magnum 425 need to know how to remove hub ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2003, 08:01 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 magnum 425 need to know how to remove hub ?

I am trying to change my front cv boot covers. How do you remove the hub? I have spent too much time trying to figure it out.. thanks

Old 05-19-2003, 08:07 PM
Pro Rider

If you are just changing the boots, I don't think you would have to remove the hub. I could be wrong. I think all you have to do is remove the shaft from the front gearcase and the hub. The front gearcase part should be held in by a roll pin that you have punch out and the part on the hub should just pull out. This is the way my Scrambler is anyway. Ftwflh, what is your opinion on this??

Old 05-19-2003, 08:11 PM
Trailblazer

If I try to do it that way I could never get the other clamp on the cv boot , because of the shock is in the way... Help.

Old 05-19-2003, 08:16 PM
Pro Rider

Wait a little bit until Ftwflh gets on here, he can help you out alot more than I can with this one, he should be on pretty soon.

Old 05-19-2003, 08:24 PM
CED
Pro Rider

My buddy just changed his on a 500 scrambler ,all he did was remove the clamps on the busted boot,slide the boot to the small side then there is a clip that holds the shaft to the cv nuckle.Remove the clip and the joint should be free.install the new boot ,put back the clip,some fresh grease then slide the boot back over and reclamp.I'm just going by what he told me i could have forgotten something.Hope this helps.

Old 05-19-2003, 08:39 PM
Pro Rider

Here. see If this helps. Thanks to Snowride.

First, remove whatever is in the way of your being able to access the CV joint. This includes the wheel, CV joint guard, and in the case of the front joint, the brake caliper. Hang the caliper by a piece of wire or twine, so as not to stretch or kink the hose. Clean everything up as good as you can, and loosen the clamps. Now you need to seperate the joint.
For the front, you need to either seperate the ball joint from the bottom of the strut, or remove the 2 bolts that attatch the A-arm to the frame. Now you will need to seperate the axle shaft from the joint. With a soft face hammer (or a piece of wood between a regular hammer-don't damage the aluminum of the strut) rap sharply OUTWARDLY to pull the joint out of the axle. It is held in only with a spring-loaded clip. The clip can be tough, and usually when a person is just about to give up, and hits it one last time, it comes apart. Now inspect the joint. If it is NOT contaminated, simply remove the boot, re-grease the joint, slide the boot up the axle, and re-connect the joint to the axle. You may need to rotate the rear wheels in order to make the axle line up with the splines. The end of the axle is tapered enough so that the end will just wedge itself past the spring clip. When it is together, verify the clip locked by tugging gently outwardly. The clip should prevent it from separating. Now add some grease to the inside of the boot, and slide it in place, and clamp it down. It is easier to get into place if you have the rear wheels in the air, so you can rotate the axle as you work the boot in place around the joint. Re-assemble everything in reverse order. If the CV joint has been contaminated, you need to take the hub apart to get the joint & axle stub out. Then clean in a parts cleaner, pack the CV joint with joint grease, re-assemble the hub as it came apart, torquing the axle nut to 110-125 INCH pounds.

Old 05-19-2003, 09:51 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good repley NCscrambler .I knock the a arm off of the ball joint when I do this and I have found that it is easier to take the hub apart first it makes the CV joint easier to line up plus its a good time to clean and inspect the bearings and goodies in the hub.And if the hud has the self locking nut you will be money ahead to take it to the hardware store and match it up,these nuts are $11 each (polaris s way of getting in your pocket)On the CV boot clamp I am lucky the dealer here in town lets me use his clamp tool.They can be a pain.But you can do it with a couple screw drivers if you have patience and good luck.

Old 05-20-2003, 10:47 PM
Trailblazer

My mechanic got the hubs off for me . the four wheel drive worked before. He took off the hubs and said that one side had no ball bearings in it and the other side had only two. Said there was some type of spider clip that was not reusable. What are my options.. thanks..
He tells me I need to hubs at 250.00 a piece...

Old 05-20-2003, 11:12 PM
Pro Rider

If you want to tackle the project yourself, the parts are lilkely cheaper at partsland than the dealer, but if you want him to do the work, that is about your only option. The Polaris mechanics won't warranty their work unless they use Polaris parts.

Farmr

Old 08-04-2003, 09:55 AM
Trailblazer

Could someone look at this link on partsland.com

http://www.partsland.com/index.cgi?N...T-NEAPCO-PARTS

I need cv joints for the front right and left. My axles look good. Could someone tell me which items I need to order. Should I just replace everything ?