Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Have A Tach What Should I Look For With Clutching

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2003, 10:28 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have A Tach What Should I Look For With Clutching

I installed a tach today and I have a EPI pro kit, HMF says peak torque is at 2000 rpm and peak HP is at 7800 rpm. With the pro kit the quad stalls until 2700 rpms and then takes off what should I be looking for, what should I do.

Old 05-23-2003, 10:40 PM
Pro Rider

I believe you want to post in the Kawi forum? Hi anyways

Old 05-23-2003, 10:56 PM
Pro Rider

I would but I figured you polaris guys know more about how to tune and automatic properly then anyone.

Old 05-23-2003, 11:05 PM
Pro Rider

There is a few guys that are usualy on here that should be able to answer your questions. Unfortunitly im not one of them .Sorry good luck

Old 05-23-2003, 11:11 PM
Pro Rider

You want the rpm to stay at max hp, so take it out and go wide open and see what it is shifting at. You want to keep the engine at 7800 rpm at wot. The shift weights and primary spring greatly affect this. So once you know what it's shifting at you can add or subtract weights or change primary spring to get it shifting out at max hp. That the nice thing with autos, you stay at max hp without dropping when shifting.

Old 05-23-2003, 11:29 PM
Pro Rider

what about engagment. I am looking at springs and they have engagment and shift out lbs. What does that mean and what does it do. The polaris springs and the kawi springs are the same what company do you think is best for springs.

Old 05-24-2003, 12:15 AM
Elite Pro Rider

NY, the best source on clutching is to get yourself the clutching book by Olav Aaen (www.aaenperformance.com). A real informative book you'll wear out using for reference.

Old 05-24-2003, 09:31 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NY, if the motor does make it's most HP at 7800 then you can engage it higher than 2700. See what it does at WOT first. if it is not at 7800 +- 100 then a spring change would be due first. Rule of thumb: Dont change weights unless it is necessary and needed. If the WOT is fine, then you would want a spring with more initial pressure for a higher engagement, but with the same full shift number. I would be engaging that thing about 3500. It will holeshot a lot harder and run better. The race modded 400's run in the middle 7K range on the tach. Get that clutching book and most of all HAVE SOME PATIENCE. It wont happen all at once, but when you figure it out then it's really easy. Good luck, Bubba

Old 05-24-2003, 03:53 PM
Pro Rider

The Kawi's don't engage gradually like the Polaris' do, they engage all at once. I put a Polaris red spring in and the quad wouldn't budge until I was past half throttle and then it slammed all at once. Initial engagement is going to have to be low or the clutch isn't going to last long.

Old 05-24-2003, 04:44 PM
Pro Rider

Alright I just took out the V-Force the clutch ingauges at 2800 rpm I don't think I want it to ingauge any higher than that since like kevin m said it does not ingauge gradualy it's like dropping the clutch and I don't think the tranny will hold up to that after awhile. My problem is at WOT the RPM's are only reading 6800 rpms and thats after awhile for it to build up to that. HMF says I make max power at 7800 rpm. What do I need to change the primary spring or the weights. I have 56g weights in now the stock ones where 58g. The spring I have from EPI is 59,140 I also bought a HPD spring because I heard you guys say they were good and it is a 85,209. Needless to say I'am unimpressed with the EPI kit and I will be buying my parts from HPD now since it looks like they have more of a selection and the the springs look like a better quality. So how do I get my RPM's upto 7800 at WOT and keep my 2800 engaugment. Thanx to all you polaris guys for your help you really seem like a good bunch of guys. Thanx

Quick Reply: Have A Tach What Should I Look For With Clutching