Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

which wire for backup light?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2003, 11:50 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which wire for backup light?

I want to put a 55w backup light on my 700 for plowing snow at night. I already have a light, and I did a search but found some conflicting reports. Does anyone know exactly which wire is the right one on an 02? I have the LCD digital dashpod, so there is not really a reverse indicator light, per se. Also, is the 55w going to be too much current draw? I don't want to melt the wire. Of course, being in reverse is usually only for a few seconds any way. I would rather have it come on when I shift into reverse, just for that reason, rather than wire it to a switch that I could leave on by mistake.

Anybody replaced the low beams with aftermarket lights? I bet some of the bluish tinted ones would look cool. Or maybe yellow fogs would be better for snow...
thanks a bunch

Old 10-13-2003, 10:44 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which wire for backup light?

There are spade terminal connections on your bike specifically made to run a reverse light. Take off the front plastic panel (under the center headlight). If you're facing the front of the quad, look on your right side for a set of (3) red/white wires with a single spade terminal on the end - this will be your positive wire which is only hot with the key on. Right near where you find the red wires, you should also find a set of (2) purple wires with a single spade terminal- this will be your ground wire, but it is only grounded when shifted to reverse, this means your reverse light will only come on when shifted to reverse. The wires maybe hidden by some of the wire loom so it might take a minute to find them.

Get a 12 VDC relay from any auto parts store, and dialectric grease to grease the terminals.
1] Run the red/white wires through a fuse to the + side of the switch on the relay. 2] purple wires to the ground of the switch on the relay. 3] And a wire from your batery (through a fuse) to the power input side of the relay. 4] Then of course all you have to do is hook your light up to the power output side of the relay.