Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportsman 335, good and bad

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2000, 11:15 PM
TG1
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What do you guys think of the Sportsman 335? Right now I’m thinking about trading in my Bayou 300 towards a new 4x4. Basically, I wonder about the power difference between the 500 and 335, handling traits and reliability. Everyone I know who owns a 500 loves it, but no one seems to have a 335 around here.

Old 06-13-2000, 12:27 AM
Trailblazer

I have a 2000 335. I love mine. I ride with 6 guys who have the 500 and I can do everything they can with the exception of a few mud pits. The 335 is a little slower than the 500 and the 500 seems to engage a little faster than mine meaning when you press the throttle the 500 doesnt rev as high as the 335 and thus takes off quicker. Also the 500 has more low end torque than the 335. But like i said there is not much I cant do that they can. I also noticed on the 500 that a couple of of them the overheat light comes on (this could be due to a bad sensor)but the others dont. Seems the bikes that are watercooled overheat more than the ones that dont have this feature???????????? Both bikes are good with the 500 you get a little more bang for the buck$$$$ but I wouldnt trade mine in for any other bike. I like the 335 because it doesnt have all the little extras to mess up right when you need them.I know there arent many but there are still some differences. I would recommend both bikes to anyone. Which one I would recommend depends onwhat type of riding you are going to do.

Old 06-13-2000, 01:12 AM
Pro Rider

HAWK I think you have said it very well not much else to be said,I rode with couple in UTAH he had 500SP and she had the 335.I must say I was really impressed by the 335,but she is real small gal and I would think that made alot of difference.as HAWK say's there wasn't any thing we did that she didn't.Myself as I have the 500SP I'd lean more toward it,but thats you decsion. COB

Old 06-13-2000, 09:26 AM
Weekend Warrior

TG1 - Another opinion .. I have a 2000 335 and am very satisfied for the most part. The only thing I'm at all dissatisfied with is the power, especially relative to it's weight. My thought process when I bought it was simple ... the 335 has more than enough to do what I want it to do, casual trailriding, plowing snow and general yard work ... and it does. However, I went trailriding and ended up wishing for more power ... but then, if I had a SP500, I'd still be wishing for more power, unfortunately, I haven't been on a SP500 so I can't personally compare ... I think it is really a personal decision. The SP335 will not let you down, it will do everything you ask, but if you are the type that likes a lot of speed and power, then I would go for the 500. With the Sportsman though, you are making the right choice. I don't care what any of these Honda or Yammy owners say, I think the Sportsman's are by far the best featured bike on the market. I think the only thing close is a Kodiak, and with it, you still lack the IRS and the locked front end. Good luck either way!

Old 06-13-2000, 01:40 PM
Pro Rider

I would say go for the 335, it is cheaper and has most of the good things that the 500 has. As for the power issue you are right my 500 is awesome but I ride with a 400 Xpress, 2 wheel drive liquid cooled two stroke, and he kicks my butt, in everything except were traction is an issue. A couple people around here have 335's and thye love them. I want to ride one just to know if i bought the right one or could have saved myself 1000 dollars and bought the 335.

Old 06-13-2000, 05:47 PM
Pro Rider

Only thing I dont like on the 335 Sportsman is the small tires. The 325 Magnum has the larger tires. Doesn't quite make sence to me. Have you considered the 500 Magnum. Only a few hundred more than the 335. Of course you give up IRS. Got my wife a 500 Magnum and it will kick my Explorer 500's butt. All depends what you use your machine for. My next ATV will be the Magnum. (Hope they will come out in different colors) I can live with out the IRS but love the better trail manners and lighter weight of the Magnum for our kind of riding. Wich ever you chose it will be a good machine. Best of luck. ChopperBill

Old 06-13-2000, 06:19 PM
Pro Rider

if you like the power of your bayou, then you will probably like the 335.

If is was you, looking for a new 4x4, i'd get a scrambler 500, and stick on racks on it(if you really need them) Then you would have everything you need! Plenty of mods around for it.

But that's just me. I personally have only rode the 500, i've rode with a 325 on mild trails and he had no problem.

Old 06-13-2000, 07:27 PM
Pro Rider

I have the '99 model that has the smaller(23") front tires. The 2000 have 24" fronts now. It will go just about anywhere I want to go,in comfort. It will push snow like no other. It could use more power,but that's what the 500 is for. I seen 335's selling for as low as 4899 and 500's for 6200. For the $1300 bucks you'll have left over you can outfit it the way you want ie. winch,plow,bumpers,bags and boxes. The only thing I don't like about the IRS is the extra leaning while riding along sides of hills. My Xplorer is allot better at that, but the ride is also rougher. All machines have there good and bad points and it is up to you to decide what they are,after all it's your money.

Old 06-13-2000, 10:00 PM
Range Rover

I have a '99 335 and love it.I use it for traversing any type of trail:muddy,sandy,wet,etc.Also,a large portion of its time is spent working, and working hard. Hence the name "Superduty". With the weight as it is, you will pull anything you hook up to most of the time. Trucks,other ATV's, trailers,Atv equipment,etc,etc. And about power,my cousin and I ride together quite often (he has a 500) and we can ride the same trail,trail conditions,or whatever,and still ride side by side.Just give it the gas and you will go;maybe not as fast,but none the less, you will go.Get the 335,its suspension,AWD,and other features are identical to the bigger,more expensive 500.Don't let anyone tell you the 335 is a dog at anything...it's a great quad and it will blow your Bayou away.

Old 06-13-2000, 11:46 PM
Pro Rider

I have ridden both quite often and being a "power freak" I really enjoyed the 500 a lot more. I fealt the 335 was a bit sluggish in comparison. It did feel a bit more smooth on the trails though...except for in rocky situations where the smaller tires are inferior. Size does matter!

But keep in mind that this is only my opinion and I am still a guy who loves pep, power and speed! Try both...pick the one that suits you...

Quick Reply: Sportsman 335, good and bad