Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

MAKE A SCRAMBLER GO SLOWER!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2003, 08:55 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MAKE A SCRAMBLER GO SLOWER!

Thanks to everyone one who has been contributing to this forum. I am going to start experimenting with the different configurations on the clutch assemblies. To start with, the limiting nut seems to be the easiest thing to try. If that doesn't work I'll try something else. It may be a while but I'll let you know how this turns out. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-10-2004, 10:53 AM
Trailblazer

Final note for this item. I ended up leaving every as is. The kids are instructed to keep it slow. The problem that presented itself was that there are times when two adults want to ride so they want the full speed to be avaialble. Thanks to everyone who provided input.

Old 06-10-2004, 12:16 PM
Pro Rider

for info on how the clutch system works, reading olav aaens clutch tuning manual will help alot. it moght not make sense the first time you read it but it will become clear.aaen clutch tuning maunal

Old 06-10-2004, 06:40 PM
Pro Rider

I can verify that changing the secondary clutch preload will accomplish slower top speeds. You don't even need a different spring. Two years ago I went to adjust the preload on the secondary of my Mach Z. I took it apart without checking which holes the spring was in. I then went to my dealer to get the tool that you hook a spring scale on to properly set the preload by actual pounds and not hole combinations. Well, they didn't have one in stock and had to order it. Then my buddy calls and wants to go riding the next day. So I threw the clutch back together taking a guess at which holes the spring had been in. Of course it was off. Too heavy on the preload. This causes the secondary to not upshift fully. Top speed on that ride was about 85mph at redline. Normally this sled would run about 115mph. On the plus side, you want to talk about awesome backshifting - just blip the throttle and it snapped your neck back. One other interesting thing I verified that day. I had read long ago that because of the way 2-strokes work, they are often MORE fuel efficient at HIGHER rpm unlike a 4-stroke that will usually get better mileage if you baby it. Well, up until that day, it had averaged 10-11mpg on every ride I'd been on. That day we rode about 350 miles and I got 13mpg all day long!

Old 06-10-2004, 10:18 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why dont you do the reasonable thing and get the kids a quad that is on their level of experiance like a Yamaha Breeze . Then teach them how to ride responsably.If you dont they WILL get hurt but hat is up to you.

Old 06-11-2004, 10:54 PM
Pro Rider

Just another suggestion. When I want my kids to go slow on my scrambler, I just have them get behind a honda, this way their riding at a slow safe speed and the honda rider will think he's the faster rider and be able to come on this forum and gloat about being in front of a polaris so both parties win! just my 3 cents.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-11-2004, 11:24 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: KevinM
Put a Honda motor in it.
that should get it done...lol