Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Trans Slippin'!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2000 | 01:27 AM
|
Trailblazer

I just bought a 00 Scrambler 400 4x4 about a month ago and when I ride through deep water everything is fine, but after I wash it, it always slips. I don't understand why it would do this. I had a 00 Trail Blazer and never had this problem. If any one has any info on the subject it would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-21-2000 | 01:32 AM
Pro Rider

Is there a chance you are squirting water into the transmission breather when you are washing it?

Old 06-21-2000 | 02:12 AM
|
Trailblazer

I don't think so. Like I said, I had a Trail Blazer and never had any problems and I haven't changed my methods of washing. This really irritates me because it's brand new.

Old 06-21-2000 | 09:11 AM
Trailblazer

Maybe your clutch cover isn't seated/sealed properly..

Old 06-21-2000 | 09:54 AM
Pro Rider

The solution to your problem lies in finding where water is entering the belt housing. Since you can ride through deep water crossings with no slippage, then I would follow the intake and exhaust ports to and from the belt housing. Find out where the ends are and plug them with a rag or foam or whatever you've got on hand that might work until you finish washing. I've got a sportsman 500, and it has holes drilled in the plastic above the gas tank where the intake for the belt housing is. More than once I have washed my bike and wasn't careful when spraying in that area and got the belt wet. Anyway, there's really nothing to worry about; you just need to find out which vent the water is entering through. I'm not very familiar with the scrambler setup, but my guess is that it is the intake for the CVT that is taking on water. Normally, the exhaust is routed downward so that water runoff can't enter. Also, if you're standing the bike up on the rear end to wash underneath, water is probably entering the exhaust. Let us know what you find out.

Old 06-21-2000 | 10:51 AM
Pro Rider

Walexa I have a New Yellow Sportsman but it does not have the holes in the tank but I know what you are talking about, and the vent that is behind the holes goes to the engine case somewhere strait down, but the only CVT vent is right but the pet **** for the fuel shut off. It is a bent plastic vent that has a U at the end to help keep water out. But i think the vent behind the Holes is for the "gear box" or something similar

Chris

Old 06-21-2000 | 12:14 PM
Trailblazer

Walexa hit this problem right on the head.. If you can run deep water crossing without a problem then your forcing water into your belt housing. Try Walexa's tips and change your wash'n habits.

C-YA

TAZ

Old 06-21-2000 | 02:41 PM
Pro Rider

My friends xpress 400 is the same way, he can ride thorough brooks and all thewater he wants, but when he takes it home and washes it the belt slip after. It goes right away though

Old 06-22-2000 | 09:56 AM
Pro Rider

Clindst,

There are 2 vents on every CVT. One is intake air(the one behind the holes on the older sportsmans), and the other is exhaust. It appears as though the one behind the holes is going to the engine, and it is. However, if you remove the belt cover and look behind the drive pulley, you'll find that there's a large hole. That hole goes through the engine and connects to that vent that I'm talking about. The fins on the inside of the drive pulley create a suction, bringing in fresh cool air to cool the belt and pulleys. The other vent with the u-bend at the end is the exhaust. Since the drive pulley is sucking air into the cover, that air must go somewhere since the cvt cover isn't a balloon. Therefore, the warmer exhaust air exits that vent. I hope I've made all this clearer than mud. Let me know if you don't completely understand.