Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

ATV has been sitting for months......what are proper starting steps?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2004, 09:45 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATV has been sitting for months......what are proper starting steps?

I have a 2001 Polaris Sportsman 400. It has been sitting in the cold at my cabin since around November and has not been started. I plan on getting down there some time in the near future and I want to start it up. What would be the proper procedure for cold starting? Should I take out the plug and pour some Polaris Synthetic oil in the hole?

Also, how does everyone else's Polaris ATV start in the cold? Thanks for the help!

Old 01-30-2004, 10:11 PM
Trailblazer

I my cars after a winter of storage(F.I.) I would just pull the coil wire and spin the motor for awhile to get every thing oiled up. Then snap the wire back on and fired it up. You prolly should clean your carb as well. check all fluids. should bout do it.

Old 01-30-2004, 10:31 PM
Pro Rider

It's hindsight now but you should probably have considered this when you put it away. Polaris recommends "fogging" the cylinder either with their fogging spray or their Synthetic oil. Perhaps you could just go through the long term storage steps by putting a couple-a-three taplespoons of the 0-40w synthetic oil in through the spark plug hole then run it through as the manual explains. You're not likely to have any lubrication comming from the crankcase side of things until that piston has been moving a lot. Just my .02!

Old 01-31-2004, 12:51 AM
Elite Pro Rider

It wouldnt hurt putting a heater on the engine and oil tank for a little bit before starting it. I tried to start mine the other day after it had sit for awhile. I had to put a heater on it for awhile cuz the starter was frozen[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] You may also want to pour a little octane booster in the gas if it has old gas in it

Old 02-03-2004, 11:50 PM
Pro Rider

What would be the proper procedure for cold starting?Text

You have not left the 400 long enough to facilitate a lubrication failure. Choke it and crank it. You will not experience any problems during these colder months and such a short period of storage. I used to have a 400. It could be left for months in your climate with no ill effects. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-04-2004, 08:39 AM
Trailblazer

Your machine holds around 2oz. of oil at a time in the lower block...just check all the fluids..charge the battery up...or jump it with cables for Bigger spark at start up..choke it and let it run...the faster it turns over the more rpms the oil pump has to push oil through...the engine was designed so it would start in cold regions..thats why their only 2oz of oil in the lower end at one time..the rest of the oil is in the oil tank...not in the lower end...Also for long storage ..you may want to try STA Boil..its a gas stableizer for storing fuel..keeps it fresh..not lackery...a battery maintainer is also great to keep battery up in charge ..just clip it on ..plug it in and forget it...it turns it self on and off automatically...saves batterys and extends battery life....you can pick them up at walmart,myers, for around $20.00..