Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Why doesn't Polaris-on Predator?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2004, 04:38 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why doesn't Polaris-on Predator?

I'm thinking of getting another Predator (50th Annaversary). My movement in my foot is much better now, so I think I can handle shifting again. But one thing that puzzles me is, why can't they make it lighter? Most other sport atv's use aluminum swing arm, yet Polaris uses steel. The aluminum ones are holding up quite fine, and you don't hear people complain about them being weak. Another is the sub frame, steel vs aluminum. again, you don't hear any complaints about weak sub frames. Yes I know, the Predator comes with many extra's compared to others, and that adds weight to the quad. For example, the stock tires and rims on the Predator weight 13lbs more then the other sport quads. So if Polaris put on the stock tires of the 450R, it would have the dry weight of 399lbs. But most don't see that, and complain, even tho you get better tires. But if they put on a aluminum swing arm and sub frame, I feel they would be around 370lbs. And this would put the Predator right with the YFZ450 and 450R. Put the front rezzies on stock, and they would have the best suspension out there, with the most travel. And they should be able to keep it in the same price range as both 450's. I still love the Predator over the other 2, but I think if Polaris just did this, the Predator would be ultimate.

Old 02-11-2004, 04:56 PM
Pro Rider

You started getting warm there at the end. Predator is the cheapest quad in the class. To the majority of buyers, price is #2 after looks &/or brand loyalty. Also, by adding the rezzies, Polaris dealers acheive higher margins by upselling accessories rather than selling them on a "stock" unit.

Keep in mind, its just the sophmore year for Polaris & sport quads.

Old 02-11-2004, 05:11 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

i think GE said it perfect...

Old 02-11-2004, 07:55 PM
Pro Rider

I know this is only Polaris 2nd year with the Predator. But when it comes to sport atv riders, what pops more in there head, is weight. They look at the weight and feel that is the most important. They don't seem to care what the atv has for extra's, all they do is look at the weight. Just look at the skid plates of both the Pred and YFZ. The YFZ skids have got to be the worst excuse for skid plates that I have ever seen on a atv, where as the Predator has the best. Then those YFZ guy's go out and buy skids, yet there atv doesn't seem to gain weight. They put on all the extra's that the Predator comes stock, and they still say there atv weigh's 350lbs. But I would rather start off light, and I feel Polaris can do this, and they had plenty of time to think that out before they released the Pred. The 400ex, Raptor and Z-400 were out before the Predator, so they knew weight was big in sport quad riders, not extras. Most people change skids, tires, and so on. But you don't see to many change swing arms and sub frames. Thats where they need to start.

Old 02-11-2004, 08:06 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

k not to start nething here but...you want them to lower the weight but yet you own a v-force...dont get me wrong I want a V but I dont currently have the funds...

I just kinda find it commical that your talking about the whole weight of the quad and then owning the heaviest one out there...sorry if this has upset you but I just had to state it sorry

Old 02-11-2004, 08:21 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: MnFriesen
k not to start nething here but...you want them to lower the weight but yet you own a v-force...dont get me wrong I want a V but I dont currently have the funds...

I just kinda find it commical that your talking about the whole weight of the quad and then owning the heaviest one out there...sorry if this has upset you but I just had to state it sorry
I'm not upset, it take a lot more then that. The reason I have the 700 is because I shatterd my shift leg in a accident. I had 3 surgeries on it. I still wanted to ride, but I could not shift my Predator without pain. I sold the Predator and got the V. It was the fastest auto I could find. Well now a year later, I'm getting my movement back, and I'm thinking of getting another Pred. I will still have the V for racing (my leg still isn't that good for racing) but I do miss the light weight of the Pred compared to the V. After a 2hr race, the V wipes me out.

Old 02-12-2004, 03:15 AM
Elite Pro Rider

A lot of people get overly focused on a machines weight vs. the overall balance of the machine while being used. I think the Pred (even more now w/ the 04 updates) is a pretty nicely balanced machine. Being the titanium yahoo I am, I'm probably most guilty of this. I'm sure there's an engineering cell devoted to the wt distribution of the assembled machines. It would be nice to at least see Chromoly swingarm, rear subframe, and a-arms. There again is the price factor. I kinda picked on the Polaris engineers during the Predator test crew weekend. Bugged them for factory installed rezzi's. They would be nice, but as long as they're available, at least they addressed the issue. To think, two years ago all we could do was to mod our Sports/ Scramblers. They're listening, we just have to be patient. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]