Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Scrambler rear axle bearings

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 01:32 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scrambler rear axle bearings

Hey, I am the new guy. I am hoping you guys can point me in the direction of a How To on replacing axle bearings. I probly need to do mine just to be safe, but my riding buddy has a scrambler 400 4x4 and he has had a bent and wobly rear wheel for a long time. We always encounter mud and water when we ride. Until recently he couldn't feel the wobling wheel when riding, I would just see it when ever I was behind him. But he said he took it for a spin the other day and it was kind of bouncing in the back. Sound like axle bearings to you? He said he was going to take it to the shop for new bearing and then put on new rear wheels and tires. I said "hey, we can probly replace those bearings our selves". I remember one of my dirt wheels mags having the how to in it but I scimmed them all and no luck. Is this a pretty straight forward job for a fairly mechanical person with plenty of tools? Help me save my friend some $$$. Thanks, JFoster

Edit: I did some searching, but was unable to find a how to. Also, should I just tell him to get the manual and follow that? If so wheres the best place to get one? The dealer?

Old 02-18-2004, 02:05 AM
Elite Pro Rider

You can never go wrong getting a maint. manual. The tips and tricks (besides the helpful pics) can really make the job simple. The purchase price of the manual will be payed back in quick and accurate maint that you can perform yourself. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-18-2004, 02:33 AM
Weekend Warrior

I was thinking it would be a good investment. So where should I get one? The dealer, or can I get the same thing somewhere else for less? Where should we get the bearings? I was hoping somewhere less exspensive than the dealer but don't want chinese crap. Thanks for the help.

Old 02-18-2004, 07:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

Anybody else? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] A guide with pics would be exactly what I need.

Old 02-18-2004, 07:21 PM
Pro Rider

Either through the polaris dealer or try ebay! The manual is a wise investment instead of second guessing and messing something up, everything right at your fingertips! Try www.rockymountainatv.com for the bearings.

Old 02-18-2004, 07:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

Manuals are great! Just a few words of advice, make certain that you disassemble the entire axle before ordering your bearings. It is very possible if the axle is that loose that you have spalled the bearing/race surfaces of the axle itself. If that is the case, your job just got a lot bigger. I've just ordered or budgeted too many parts thinking I knew the cause of a problem only to disassemble and find out I need something else. I hope it's simple. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-19-2004, 06:38 PM
Range Rover

When you get the bearings out head down to your local irrigation supplier or transmiision and bearing shop, bring in the worn bearings with you they will be able to match up the bearings for you, they will also propably be cheaper than going with Polaris bearings, I would reccomend SKF bearings or *** bearings, these two companies make top quality bearings and seal that almost always seem to outlast stock manufactured bearings. Hope this helps.

Old 02-22-2004, 07:55 PM
Pro Rider

you can go to partsland.com and they have a diagram of all the parts,here is the link