Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

"New" Procedure - FWD Reverse Override for Polaris with Circuit Board.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2000, 07:09 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are many of us who have Vintage Polaris quads. I guess what makes them Vintage is the fact they have a circuit board (under the nose) as opposed to a wiring harness. What I have found is that the electrical modifications posted on various sites are mainly for newer machines and have different wire colours and procedures. I used these postings as the basis for my Vintage Polaris Modifications.

Override Button Override
This will allow you to have 4wd in reverse without having to push the yellow button. The process will also allow normal operation of the Reverse Light. NO CUTTING OF WIRES is necessary so that the quad can be returned to "stock" at any time.

Materials
12 inch piece of wire of same gauge as quad wires
4 female "push on" connectors as used on the circuit board
2 Schottky Barrier Diodes (Model 1N5821), Rated at 30 Volts Maximum at 3 amps
Electrical Tape

Patch Wire
1) Cut the piece of wire in half, attaching one connector on each open end. We will be using one connector on each wire as a holder for the diodes.
2) Take one of the wires and push the diodes (one at a time) into the "channels" in the connector. Ensure that the stripes are pointing in the same direction (the power will flow toward the stripe).
3) Take the other wire and push one of the connectors over the other ends of the diodes. What we will have is a length of wire with 2 diodes in parrell in the middle of the wire.
4) Then tape up entire length of wire clearly marking the direction the power flow.

Procedure
1) Find the Grey/White, Lite Purple and Dark Green wires. These three wires come from the Override button and are in the same "bunch" of wires.
2) Disconnect the Grey/White and Lite Purple from the board and install the Patch ensuring that the power flows FROM the Lite Purple terminal TO the Grey/White terminal. Ensure that you tape up the connectors on the disconnected wires to protect them from shorting.
3) Disconnect the Dark Green wire from the board to disconnect the Re Limiter. Ensure that you tape up the connector on the wire to protect it from shorting.

You can now use the Override button to power an accessory . . . I have added a car horn to mine.

I tested the modification last weekend and everything went OK.