Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Hooking up a horn: Will it work?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2004, 12:03 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hooking up a horn: Will it work?

K, just to get this straight one more time before i do it, all i need to do is attach that one purple wire comming from the button to the horn, and the ground wire that came with the horn to the bolt that the other ground wires are connected too? I dont need to cut any other wires?

Old 04-03-2004, 12:10 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Correct. Although my ground wire just attacted to the bolt that held the braket to the horn. It grounded itself VIA the frame. But yes, cut that purple wire coming from the button, and tape the one end off and solder a longer wire to the other ind coming from the button and connect that to the horn. Thats how I have mine set. Dont solder anything until you make sure it works

Old 04-03-2004, 12:19 AM
Pro Rider

alright, ill give it a try. thanks.

Old 04-03-2004, 01:36 AM
Pro Rider

still not workin

Old 04-03-2004, 01:38 AM
Pro Rider

I connected that purple wire to the horn, stuck the ground wire to the bolt, turned the key on and pushedthe button. Nothing happened. We hooked up a grey and orange i think it was wire that was by the pruple one tothe batter, and hooked the pruple wire to the horn. Now the horn was on constantly. I just dont get it.

Old 04-03-2004, 02:28 AM
Pro Rider

ok, heres the thing, I hooked up the grey and orange wire to the batter, the purple wire to the horn, and had a wire from the horn grounded to the frame. now what happened? it went in reverse. the horn would be constantly running, but when you press the OR button, the horn stops. its doing the opposite.

Old 04-03-2004, 09:05 AM
Trailblazer

AKracer, no you can't hurt the coils if you don,t have awd,but you could hurt the gear selector switch at the trani if you have a 2x4. BBS thanks for the reply, still alittle confused, did you cut the gray/white wire or just splice the red/white into it. AKracer you should not be appling power to the gray/orange wire. I will try and post the wiring diaghram of the reverse override in before and after format. Just give me a day. Good luck guys.

Old 04-03-2004, 12:21 PM
Trailblazer

Okay guy's I hope this helps. I've uploaded two more picks in my pictures. The reverse override picture shows factory wiring. The picture named reverse mod is what you need to do for the reverse override. The two wires labeled for horn use can be hooked up any way you want. Now BBS correct if i'm wrong but i think you did almost the same thing except you did not cut the gray/white wire, you just spliced with the red/white. Which after viewing wiring diaghram again looks like it should work with no ill effects. I would still use a relay to power the horn or horns. Have fun and let me know if this helps.

Old 04-03-2004, 03:38 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Mr Toys, I believe so. The gray/orange wire is unpluged. There is a jumper wire spliced between the gray/white wire and the red/white wire so that they are both hot.

Old 04-03-2004, 03:39 PM
Pro Rider

I dont see a grey and white wire....

Quick Reply: Hooking up a horn: Will it work?