Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Hooking up a horn: Will it work?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2004, 03:43 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hooking up a horn: Will it work?

AKracer, im not to sure whats going on with yours. You can do a little test here though. Take a test light and probe the purple wire that comes down from the override button. Now, turn on the ignition and push the button in. The test light should light when the button is pushed in. If not, something aint right. Also try putting it in reverse. It should not light the test light. If all is good with that, then thereodicly the horn should work. Are you getting a good ground?

Old 04-03-2004, 03:48 PM
Pro Rider

tried it. No power in that purple wire. We think a fuse might have been blown cause ive had the overdrive disengaged since summer. We cant find the fuse for the button though.

Old 04-03-2004, 04:10 PM
Pro Rider

Just stop by Toys R Us and get a bike bell[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-03-2004, 04:34 PM
Elite Pro Rider

AKracer, you are going to have to find out why you arent getting power to the purple wire. I dont see what the system would be any different than mine. Although, you may not have one of the wires due to not having 4wd. Loot at where the wires go into the button. What are the first 3 wires you see? Also, you may have to do a little probing with a test light to find you power source into the override switch. Then you can go from there.

Old 04-03-2004, 04:56 PM
Trailblazer

AKracer, I'm going over to my buddies this weekend. He has a TB and I'll look at the wiring and get back with you, and now that i think about it. You don,t have the same override as we do because you do not have awd. I'll look at the TB and get back to you. Give me a day or two and i will give you an answer.

Old 04-03-2004, 05:06 PM
Trailblazer

Okay AKracer, I have an answer for you. Here it goes. You don't have a gray/white because you don't have awd, but you have the same switch as us. What you need to do is cut the gray/orange to do the reverse override. Second go to the switch itself and unplug the connector. You see the gray/orange pluged into the first cavity marked A. Cavity B will open and cavity C will be purple. D & E are red/black and F is red/white. Now you have to remove the gray/orange from cavity A and install it into cavity B. Your going to have to cut the purple wire and splice it into the red/white. By doing this it makes the gray/orange hot with power every time you hit the override button. The gray/orange will go to the horn or the horn relay. witch ever way you choose to hook it up. Sorry for the wrong info earlier I forgot you didn't have awd. Hope this clears things up. Happy Trails

Old 04-03-2004, 05:52 PM
Pro Rider

Well, heres what happened. I bought a horn button. I didnt do this in the first place because the only ones i could find were huge. We finally found a small one. It works. Now we just got to put the wires we cut back together. Sorry for all the trouble MrToys. I did learn a lot though from what you have told me. I never knew what most of those wires did, but now I do. Thanks for all the help.

Old 04-03-2004, 11:48 PM
Trailblazer

BBS, I did the reverse override a little different, but now i understand how you did it. You won't have any hub, trani switch problem, the only thing that might happen down the road is you will burn out the override switch. But this could take awhile if you are using a single horn. it's been fun chatting, good luck and enjoy.

Old 04-03-2004, 11:56 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Same to you Mr Toys. You seem to be a very knowledgeable guy and I hope to see you see you on here regularly. We can always use some more well informed and smart people[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]