Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Trail Boss 325 & Plow... performance?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2000, 12:23 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Polaris sells a dirt/snow plow for the Trail Boss 325, it's like $230 for the mounting bracket and blade together. Does anyone know if it works well? I'd like to use it to grade a gravel/sand entrance to my driveway and in the winter clear off the snow. Even if the snow piled up over a foot I'd most likely plow it a couple of times. Drifting snow is generally pretty light so it should handle that, right? Does anyone have one or know how the Trail Boss 325 will handle with it?

Old 07-21-2000, 04:32 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you were to purchase the chains that Polaris makes for the rear tires,you'll plow like there is no tommorrow.Without the chains,expect problems with a good plow full of snow.

Your going to have to make it up my way to ride the Mounds in Mt Morris Mi,near Flint.===Bill

Old 07-21-2000, 06:02 AM
Pro Rider

Well i dont know about the blade setup but, my SP500 wouldnt push a blade+ full of rock. The gravel doesnt give much traction. TIP: when you are pushing alot of dirt, rock,sand, mud, etc. raise your blade the first time you go over it so the 2nd time you do their is less to push

Old 07-21-2000, 09:08 AM
Pro Rider

gb

Plowing takes two basic things: Weight and traction. My Magnum with the plow has plenty of weight and I put it in four wheel drive low and it gets plenty of traction to plow snow with stock tires. I have pushed a little dirt with it, but it will not push much. You could push some gravel, just don't be in a hurry. I also own a trail boss. You could overcome the weight problem by putting some weight on the rear rack. I have never tried tire chains as Bill suggested, but this may overcome the lack of 4 wd for the traction problem. It works for these 2wd lawn tractors, it should work for an ATV. Take it slow and it should do all right, just don't expect to plow right through a three foot drift without losing traction. My next task on plowing snow is to teach the wife how to do it.

Old 07-21-2000, 11:00 AM
Trailblazer

Most everyone seems to think the Trail Boss can handle a plow as long as I make sure I have traction. Does anyone know if there is a better plow system available than what Polaris offers? What about a inexpensive equivalent?

Old 07-21-2000, 02:27 PM
Pro Rider

gbMichigan

If the $230 price for the mount, plow, and manual lift kit is correct, go with the Polaris model. I priced Polaris and a few others when I got my plow and they were all around $300. I ended up getting it from Shadetree as I was pissed at my dealer because he was supposed to order the plow mount and mount it for me when I bought it, but failed to do either. Either way you go, install it yourself. It is easy to do and only takes about an hour to assemble and mount the whole system. Plow on Polaris brother!!!

Old 07-21-2000, 02:49 PM
Pro Rider

Put a bag of sand or a concrete block on the back rack will help alot when plowing.

Old 07-21-2000, 11:28 PM
Trailblazer

I built mine from a garden tractor plow set up. I bought a 1500lb Superwinch, a Cycle Country plow mount and only spent $200! I found the plow for free, but have seen them for as little $50. Look for one that has a full frame, not a front mount style. Ranch King made the one I used, I just welded a cross tube on the end and made some pin mounts on each side to fit the Cycle Country mount. You can buy the pins at hardware stores. For the winch mount I welded a piece of channel across the brush guard and bolted the winch to it. The plow mount is $39. The winch you can pick up at Kmart on sale for $129.99 with a rocker switch that can be mounted on the handle bars so you can adjust the height with your left hand as you are moving.
I used mine all winter on 8 driveways and sidewalks and have not had any trouble. I will have a remote blade release on for this winter made from a bicycle cable and a quick release mount, I found I did not like hopping on and off the quad.
Good luck!
Ingoldx1
95 Sportsman
99 Trail Boss