Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

First ride in Nova Scotia - Ride Report - VERY Long

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2000, 03:30 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well she's back and I missed her something special. I went to pick up my Sportsman last night from the shop after its full service. They went thru it head to tail replacing fluids, plugs, etc along the way. She was loaded by 5:45 in the evening and I was on the road back home.

Suddenly all these "trail possibilities" popped up. You know what I mean by "trail possibilities" - as your driving around a new area everything on the side of the road that could possibly even remotely resemble a trail that you could explore has to be examined and considered.

I then came up on a Tri-Line (Power lines grouped in to three lines). Well I couldn't take it anymore! I immediately sought out a place to unload the quad. My dog immediately sensed my intentions and got all excited in anticipation of the coming ride.

Finding a place to unload quickly brought her out of the truck and I swapped in to some rubber boots and an old coat. I headed out the trail heading for the tri-line. The quad felt good and ran flawlessly, but I didn't feel comfortable. This is when I realized I'd forgotten my helmet. I can't ride without the helmet, so it was back to the truck. With the helmet protecting the bit of brain I got left it was back to the trail and on to the Tri-Line.

The Tri-Line started out with a mud hole, which wasn't very bad and the Sportsman had no trouble buzzing through, but the flying mud did get some motorists attention who were tooting the horn at my little display.

The Dog, Quad and I continued up the tri-line for about 5 minutes when we were faced with a choice - continue following the trail we were on or take a little bend in too a field of MUSKEG!!! Well the dog decided it was best to go through the muskeg. Me, not being one to turn down a challenge followed close behind.

There was nothing really bad about the trail, just some nasty ruts to follow. The Dog and the Quad were both up to the challenge though, making the terrain look easy. Then the inevitable happened.
We came upon a hole that was calling my name. It looked just like quicksand on the surface and was about 8 feet across and a little better than the width of a quad wide. So as usual I threw out all suggestions from the logical side of my brain as reasoning why I shouldn't go in this hole and in I went.

The Sportsman was in low and WFO when we hit the surface. Which provided no resistance whatsoever. We just sunk to the bottom. Continuing along until the other side I braced myself for the wheely that usually results when hitting an embankment on the exit of a mud hole. The wheely came, but it wasn't enough to get the front tires to claw out of the hole and the rear tires were floating. Reverse moved us back to the other side, but there was still not enough traction + momentum to drag us outta that hole. Another run in the forward direction ended the same as the first. The next reverse was our downfall. One of the mudrunners caught on a root or tree place there by someone to help extradite them from a previous stuck. I was now completely trapped.
Now those logical reasons as to why I shouldn't go in this hole came flooding back. The main one was the lack of good winch points near by and me not having my extension tow straps meant I probably shouldn't go in this hole. Well the quick (maybe a little too quick) reasoning used to discard this piece of logic was I could always walk back to the truck and get the extensions. At the moment walking back to the truck didn't feel that appealing. So elected to winch from some smaller trees.

It took about 2 hours of winch work on different stumps and trees to work the quad out of its resting place. I was totally saturated with mud, sweat and blood (tore my hand up on the cable/trees/roots/stumps) and the mosquitoes had just about drained the remaining blood I didn't get to bleed myself. It finally came out though and we headed back to the truck where I realized something else. I had no change of clothes and that dog was awful dirty too! So I spread out the dog's blanket and stripped to the underwear and proceeded to drive home!

On the way home I had to take a exit to turn around and head back to town. The intersection came up quicker than anticipated and I had to brake hard, but not too hard as to send the Sportsman through my rear window. So when stopped I was crooked and too far into the intersection. Then the Cop passed by. I thought "Great, I am going to get pulled over while driving around covered in mud and sitting here in my underwear!" Well he didn't chase me, so that worked out well.

Overall it was a GREAT trip. Put 2 kilometers on the Quad and about 50 went on the Dog and it only took 3.5 hours! We both had a great time though!

This was my first ride since I moved to Nova Scotia.

If you made it this far - Thanks for reading! I hope you enjoyed the tale of my mini-adventure!

SP500 in NS

Old 07-28-2000, 04:29 PM
Pro Rider

Good story SP500inNS, but what would you have told the cop if he pulled you over? Amazing how the spontaneous simple rides end up in 3.5 hours trips.

Old 07-29-2000, 12:53 AM
Pro Rider

SP have been to NOVA SCOTIA was many years ago,beautiful country.Enjoyed the story,thats what it,s all about.CM

Old 07-31-2000, 07:16 AM
Pro Rider

Good story! Those power lines can give you a REAl good workout

Old 07-31-2000, 07:53 AM
Range Rover

I love it. Even thought I spent most of my time battling the muskeg for possesion of my ATV and batlling the mosquitoes for possesion of my blood I still throughly enjoyrd myself!

My second trip which was yesterday, wasn't nearly as much fun. I can't seem to discover any real trail system around these parts. I got one or two replies from a request for information on this site, but I only had a short time to ride yesterday and wanted to find something close.

The fact that the seat on my quad blew off after getting something from the storage didn't help the day either(I didn't latch it right, actually at all). Back tracking where I drove to see where I dropped it wsa NO fun. Found it though!

Old 08-02-2000, 11:01 PM
Range Rover

Hey man, Im over in Newfoundland.... Im going over to Halifax next weekend, i was planing on taking my Kawie over to ride but the trailer cant be trusted... oh well,,,,....

Old 08-03-2000, 07:27 AM
Pro Rider

Hey Another Newfoundlander . . .

I'm over on the east coast . . . Paradise to be exact. Were you the guy who e-mailed me last year? Anyway, if you are ever headed to the capital with your quad, drop me an e-mail.