Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Thinking about buying a Scrambler?????

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2004, 11:11 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about buying a Scrambler?????

Well i've been looking around for a second quad, was orignally going to buy a 400ex, but i found a 97 Scrambler 500 4X4 with front and rear racks, speedo, trailer hitch, 1500lb winch, utility clutch kit, new front struts and chain, for $2600. Does that sound like a decent deal?? Is there anything I should look for that is a normal problem for scramblers?Thanks

Old 05-30-2004, 11:35 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is a non HO engine and a 3 chain drive system.I wouldnt go more than $1800 tops.

Old 05-30-2004, 11:40 PM
Elite Pro Rider

It sounds like an OK deal. Personally, I would steer away from the 97 500 scram for a few reasons. One, it does not have the High Output motor that the 98 and newer 500 scrams have. Second, it does not have the concentric drive. Which is a much better drive system. That also means that it has 3 chains that you have to maintain. One for the rear, and 2 for the front drive. The 98 and newers have chain rear drive and shaft up front. Much more reliable and easier to maintain. And third. it does not have the long travel suspension that the 2000 and newer ones have. You should be able to find a 98 or newer for between $3000-$4000. JMHO

Old 05-31-2004, 12:25 AM
Pro Rider

alrite then, scratch that idea, don't want the 3 chain deal, well after some more searching i found a 98 thats says it runs good but needs minor work for $1800, i think i'll call tomorrow to see wat this minor work is, i'm not afraid to do some wrench time if i can get a much cheaper price, most buyers don't want to buy something they'll hafta fix,

Old 05-31-2004, 12:34 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Keep us informed. Good luck[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 05-31-2004, 03:29 AM
Weekend Warrior

dude dont buy tha scarmbler i have a 2001 scrambler and i have so much problems with it its un real im gonna fix it up and trde it in

Old 05-31-2004, 03:39 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: lilshorty400
dude dont buy tha scarmbler i have a 2001 scrambler and i have so much problems with it its un real im gonna fix it up and trde it in
Great post!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img] Very constructive. Since you had one with problems, that means that they are all junk right? That means that us guys that actually know what we are doing with our scramblers and know how to fix and maintain them are all blowing smoke up his @ss. Is that right?

Old 05-31-2004, 04:23 AM
Pro Rider

I would say that the chain drive has it's pro's and con's as does the shaft drive. It is the HO thing that I couldn't live without!!! With chain drive, I can change the ratio on my Scrambler 400 4x4. Chain drive is lighter, and lets the bike run free-er.

Old 05-31-2004, 07:59 AM
Range Rover

I personnally love my Scrammy, and as fas as the price you were going to pay on that first one I think it was steep as I got my 2003 with mods for 3800 and it is in great shape. If you just want to ride and have fun without worrying about clutching, shifting, and getting stuck in a tough spot the automatic 4x4 sure does make you ride easier, plus it has tons of power to boot.

Old 05-31-2004, 05:07 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: lilshorty400
Yah, buy a HONDA forman and get stuck, and pay way to much for crappy parts and plastic, and you will have the bike you have always dreamed of getting stuck.

I have had my Polaris for years and so has my father in law and brother in law, and 3 of my other friends and NONE have EVER had problems with thiers. We would and could go places and do things that all others COULD NOT! So make your own mind on what you want, and don't let dumbass's clutter your mind... I think I am going to start going to the other makes forums and start telling them what I think of "Some" of the bikes the choose to ride... Like the raptor, with it's crappy suspention, I dont' even want to get started with the Kaws! What does the , child, ride anyway with his 5posts and no sig or profile? A 300ex? LMFAO, I can stomp 400ex with thier serverly underpowered motors. How Honda justifies thier pricing is beyond me!!! Or better yet, does he even have a biKE?

Quick Reply: Thinking about buying a Scrambler?????