Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Predator the most underated 4wheeler around...

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2004, 01:01 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Predator the most underated 4wheeler around...

Originally posted by: BigBadScrambler
Originally posted by: BADBEARnoSportsman

Face it sleeper and hozed, you own a overweight, underpowered, inferior designed quad. Your two options are.... be roosted on or trade up!
This coming from a Raptor owner?? LOL Lets see. "Underpowered" the Raptor is a 660cc 5 valve SOHC engine. The Predator is a 499cc 4 valve DOHC engine. And it is a FACT that the Predator and Raptor are about even in a drag race. People that have actually raced FAIRLY and have a clue what they are talking about will agree that it comes down to the rider. So what is it that you 660 which has 161cc more displacement and 1 more valve cant put a whoopin on this "underpowered" quad? Now, "inferior designed". EVERYONE knows about the 01 Raptor tranny problem and how Yamaha handled it (or didn't handle it). Yes, soem of the 03 Preds had tranny trouble (no to the tune of $1000+ to fix) but at least Polaris can stand behind their product. Also, the Predator is a DOHC, as are most of the other sport quads (DS650, YFZ, Pred, Z400 and its clones). So why is Yamaha still in the old era of SOHC's? Not only that, but for the powerplant that the Raptor has, it has a very inferior frame and suspension. It is to short and too narrow. Do you consider "inferior" to be Fox shocks, PRO steering, anti squat suspension, Douglas wheels with Razor tires, extra wide stance, stainless steel brake lines, and super tough rear axel as STANDARD features?

PS. I had to go there to level the playing field.
Bravo.... well done,

You make some good points about the Predator. Yamaha Burned allot of people with the 01 tranny's. The raptor was never meant to be a pure mx quad, so a predator will win that fight. However, put 2k into each and the raptor will be the first one to the top of olds hill every time, if that's all you want to do. We were comparing the predator to the new 450's, how do you weigh in on that?

Old 07-14-2004, 01:15 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Pred vs. the new 450's..........my take

The Pred IMO still comes with better factory parts as I mentioned above. But, when it comes to Pro MX, the racers get LOTS of sponsorship to replace praticly everything with aftermarket parts which do make them handle better. I also think that they lighter weight of the new 450's playins into the handling. But look at what you are sacrificing for the lighter weight. Kick start only on the Honda. Weaker aluminum a-arms on the Yamaha and so on. As far as the powerplant goes, Honda and Yamaha pretty much took their powerplants out of their 450 dirtbikes that have been around for years. This definately gives them the advantage when it comes to the R&D done on the motors. I am sure if Polaris has had their Pred motor around for years, putting a lot of R&D into it through the racing series like Yamaha and Honda did, then it would be a different story. It would be interesting to see what that 440 kit that Polaris released does against the 450's? Can't wait to see what they will release at the 50th party to compete with the new 450's. Just my $.02

Old 07-14-2004, 01:40 AM
Elite Pro Rider

BBS, don't let little bear get to you. His sig lists Utah, then he says he lives in Arizona. Too confused to know where home is.....ya think he could figure out ATV's? Hmmm, don't think so.

Those who think before they post, earn and hold respect. Those who fly off the handle trying to light fires.....they eventually fade away, just like their hot air.

Old 07-14-2004, 12:12 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: modquad
BBS, don't let little bear get to you. His sig lists Utah, then he says he lives in Arizona. Too confused to know where home is.....ya think he could figure out ATV's? Hmmm, don't think so.

Those who think before they post, earn and hold respect. Those who fly off the handle trying to light fires.....they eventually fade away, just like their hot air.
Modquad,

I live in AZ, but have a home in Utah.... where i like to do most of my riding.

Old 07-14-2004, 12:19 PM
Pro Rider

I say we just all let what we said go. We all said somethings that were mean (maybe not tbsleeper). Why can't Yamaha and Polaris owners just get along![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-14-2004, 12:31 PM
Trailblazer

I think the yamaha owner does'nt understand that his japanese built quad is soon to be "inferior" to the american made polris built 05 pred![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-14-2004, 01:58 PM
Pro Rider

You guys can argue all you want but don't bring weight into this. By the time you get a pred motocross ready it can weigh in around 370-380 pounds. By the time you get the yfz and trx motocross ready it won't weigh much less than stock because you will have to get stronger rims which will weigh more, stronger axel which will weigh more, and stronger a-arms which will weigh more. Also you will have to spend a lot more on internal engine mods to run with just a piped and jetted predator. The weight doesn't really matter at all. Look at it this way if you really think weight matters that much...you will stay lower to the ground when jumping which in turn is faster than flying through that air. Don't get me wrong the yfz and trx are sweet rides when set up right, too bad the yfz doesnt have the trx look and feel and the trx have the yfz power. To say the pred is inferrior is total BS. To the people who say that I say u are inferrior to me and feel sorry for your parents for having such an inferrior kid.

Old 07-14-2004, 02:05 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: polaris5610
I say we just all let what we said go. We all said somethings that were mean (maybe not tbsleeper). Why can't Yamaha and Polaris owners just get along![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
We're kinda like cats and dogs.......... Its in our blood to fight one another. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-14-2004, 04:35 PM
Pro Rider

posted by head027 " Also you will have to spend a lot more on internal engine mods to run with just a piped and jetted predator. "

Do you have any clue what you are talking about? A stock 450 is about equal with a piped pred. Put a pipe on both and the 450's will be even faster. the pred is the one that needs internal engine mods to keep up.

Old 07-14-2004, 04:41 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah I know what I am talking about. All my pred has done is piped and jetted and off the holeshot no one touches me except 2 honda quads that have honda 450 bikes motors with engine mods done to them. If I had doug nicholas's stage one and cams i would smoke them off the line too. I am really good shifter though and have good reaction time.

Quick Reply: Predator the most underated 4wheeler around...