Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

95 Xplorer Hub Service?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2004, 11:45 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 Xplorer Hub Service?

Thanks for the help so far with fixing up my old Xplorer. This forum has been great!

I'm looking for some help with maintaining my hubs on the 95 Explorer 400. I have the Demand 4 AWD Hubs and can't tell if I should do Step 7, 8 or both. Is Demand 4 AWD the same thing as 4WD with that model? I'm having a hard time figuring out where to put AFT fluid and where to grease my bearings.

"Step 7 Demand 4 Hubs - All Wheel Drive ATVs" from the Owners manual indicates to use ATF Type F fluid. I'm assuming I put the fluid in the hole where the little set screw goes... does that dound right? I popped the cap off the end of the hubs and it was pretty dry, and no fluid came out of the set-screw when I rotated the hub upside down.

"Step 8 Front Wheel Bearings - Non-driving front wheels" I'm not sure if that applies to me since I have AWD? I don't want to put Tranny fluid where I should be greasing. Instructions: Remove front wheel bearings, clean and hand pack. In the illustration it says "8. Front Wheel Bearings (4 wheel drive only).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

==============================================
1995 Polaris 400 Xplorer
2002 Yamaha PW50

Old 07-13-2004, 01:02 AM
Trailblazer

Hello,

I just had my hubs off my 95 Explorer to replace the front sprocket.. There is no grease, only hub fluid, I personally run the Polaris fluid, but I'm sure the Type F ATF fluid would work just fine.. If you had no fluid from the set screw when you removed it, I'd pull the hubs free and check the bearings, races, and the drive for the 4 wheel drive action.. When you fill it, you're right you fill it thru the opening where you remove the set screw.. I turn the opening straight up and fill the hub then turn somewhere between the 3 o clock and 4 o clock postion and let any excess fluid drain, then replace the set screw.. Good luck..

Old 07-13-2004, 01:04 AM
Elite Pro Rider

All the "demand" means is that the AWD turns on in demand. Meaning that even though you have it switched in AWD, it is actually in 2wd until the rear tires slip 1/5th more than the front, then the front hubs kick in "on demand" until the rears stop slipping. This is what allows for the TRUE 4WD (AWD actually) and easy steering with the Polaris ATV's All of the 4wd Polaris ATV's have th same hub set-up with the exception of the SP600, SP700, and I believe the newer SP500's. They have the hub set-up in the front diff. With that said, you do not grease your bearings on the 4wd models. The hub fluid provides all the lubrication. The 2wd models do require the bearings to be greased though. What you want to do is pull the black cap off the end of the hub to drain the fluid, and remove the allen head set screw to get all the old fluid out. Then, replace the cap. Turn the hub so that the set screw hole is up. Fill it with Polaris hub fluid, ATF Type F, or Mobil 1 synthetic ATF (I have found this to work better than the ATF type F) Rotate the hub so that the hole is at the 4:00. You will know when you have the proper amount of fluid in there when it starts to leak out at the 4:00 position. Then just put the set screw back in. Thats it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-13-2004, 01:19 AM
Weekend Warrior

Great, thanks for the help! These forums are some of the best I've seen.