Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportsman 700 EFI fuel pump problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2004, 11:33 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportsman 700 EFI fuel pump problem

4.19.04 Same day as mine. I had to have my tank/pump swapped. I'll check the serial number this weekend. ATV is at my cabin. We'll see how close it is.

Old 08-31-2004, 03:25 PM
Pro Rider

I bought two EFI's about a month and a half ago and I had 11 miles on mine when the fuel pump died. actually the first day I had it, it stalled once, the second day it stalled three times and on the third day is when it quit all together. the dealer replaced the fuel tank cause thats how the pump comes is with the tank assembly. runs great after the repairs. now the other EFI is starting to stall but I don't know if it's the fuel pump or the key chain hitting the filler cap turning off the key. kinda thinking of calling the dealer to have them order another tank assembly so they'll have it when it dies, if it dies.

Old 08-31-2004, 09:53 PM
Trailblazer

mine never stalled just did really bad in mileage and my dealer replaced the pump and tank i hope it works im going to pick it up tomorrow i cant wait

Old 12-23-2018, 02:52 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Help

i have a 2004 Polaris 700twin EFI.

I had issues the end of this summer. Ran like crap. Stalling often. Had to keep my thumb on throttle while shifting from park or neutral or H or Low.... so I decided to tear it all down. Took gas tank out, cleaned it, inspected the fuel pump. Replaced the sock/strainer in the tank, new in line fuel filter. New fuel lines across the board. New Plugs and Plug wires. Replaced a few rubber boots / seals and all the air box/ filter components.

After getting it all back together, (kept the body plastic off for now) primed the pump, checked for leaks. Nothing.

The atv starts right up, Idles fine, took it for a test ride and it seems like it got way more power, faster and more spontaneous. Rode it up and down the road lightly.

After a 15 min test drive I found when I drive really fast, it sputters here and there, and if I completely let off the throttle and let the ATv come to a complete stop, as it idles down, it stalls. Then to get it to turn on and run, I have to hold the throttle lightly, to keep the ATv running....

is my fuel pump toast?

When I tore everything apart and cleaned everything, there was some nast dark grainy crap in the tank and fuel filter. It rode like that for a while and I am wondering if that’s what is causing this.

Old 12-30-2018, 08:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

John Curtis - I'm having the exact same problem. Did you find out what is going on?
Thanks

Old 12-30-2018, 09:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Ozarkman76
John Curtis - I'm having the exact same problem. Did you find out what is going on?
Thanks
ozark I think I did. But I’m waiting on a part. If yours is anything like mine, hook a fuel pressure gauge inline on your fuel line. Hook into it before your fuel filter. Mine was showing 68-75psi. Explains the extreme has consumptions, back fire and black black spark plugs. So I’ve determined it must be the fuel regulator. I order all new parts to the sending unit including the pump and strainer. As well as the regulator and new lines. I’ll get back after I install. It seems it’s very important to make sure your fuel tank is insulated and guarded from the heat of your exhaust. Would be smart to just have a metal shiel built on to the exhaust, mich like most snowmobile exhausts. I’ll get back. But check your fuel pressure. Let me know what it is. See if it spikes or drops when you rev the engine.