Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Kenda Bounty Huntire tire/rims???

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 11:55 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kenda Bounty Huntire tire/rims???

Has anyone heard anything about the new Polaris exclusive Kenda Bounty Hunter off-road radial tire/cast wheel set. They are suppose to have 14" rims instead of standard 12" will this lift the bike 2" plus the tire tread high?? Polaris states you will have higher ground clearence with this combo. How much more??? Are the rims anygood? How about the tires?? Will there be any issuses with a shorter side wall tire?? like to get some feedback....

tks,

Old 09-14-2004, 01:49 PM
Range Rover

Hey there StrayKat....

You can sort of see where Polaris is going with this new 14" tire/wheel package. I think they're trying to cash in on the large wheel craze that's going on with the full size 4WD SUV's you see out on the roads these days. Larger 22"+wheel and super low profile tires. Great for a road vehicle, but on a 4WD? In my opinion..... NO. Personally I don't get it.. Do these people really think they can get a HUGE SUV to handle like a Vette of a Viper? Sorry, I digress..... It's a "pet peeve" of mine. Didn't mean to start preaching.....

They may look cool, but the decreased tire profile can only lead to a rougher ride off road. that's just the nature of the beast. Less side wall, less "give". If you're only riding smooth flat trails at high speeds, this may be what you're looking for. Also, remember the only height increase you'll get is in the TIRE size only. A 26" tire on a 14" wheel is the same height as a 26" tire on a 12" wheel. The only difference is side wall profile. The two inch difference in the wheel size means nothing. It's all about the tires.

When you install an oversized tire on any vehicle, the actual increase in vehicle height is only 1/2 the difference in tire heights. Let's say you go from a 25" tire to a 27" tire. A total difference of 2". Since the tire is mounted in the center, 1/2 the increase in size will be below the axle (your actual height gain) and 1/2 will be above (where it does nothing to vehicle height what so ever). Did this make sense?

I guess it all boils down to what you plan on doing with your ATV..... High speed fire roads and trail burning... These sound like a good idea. For an all around 4WD trail, mud and snow ATV.... Personally, I'd think twice before going this route....

Old 09-14-2004, 02:10 PM
Trailblazer

MooseHunter,

I think thats the best explanation that I received so far...... tks..... I like the look of the setup but agree losing the sidewall on a snow/mud/rock tire dose not seem to make sence. I am thinking twice, a set of these or a set of 589's 26" with type 5 ITP rims..... I want something soon... getting itchy! haha

tks

Old 09-14-2004, 02:20 PM
Range Rover

I'd have to agree with Moosehunter, If anything I'd want to go to a shorter tire to remove some of the tippiness the big Sportsman has, but that just my 2 cents........