Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

does anyone have custom wheels on a sportsman

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2004, 09:46 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default does anyone have custom wheels on a sportsman

I am looking for a wheel I can use on my 700 EFI that is different. I like the new ITP gloss black four spoke wheels but I don't think they make them to fit our sportsmans yet do they. I would take chrome or polished to though, but think the gloss black would set off the black body of the quad. does anyone have a atv site I can go to for custom wheels or have any suggestions that may help me.

Old 10-09-2004, 09:36 PM
Range Rover

Hey there 'bullet....

As far as the black ITP's... No Go!! Nothing for the Sportsman yet. I even spoke to an ITP rep directly and asked if they would do a set or two of type-5's for me (in black) as a custom order...... "NO, custom orders period". [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] So that ain't going to happen either. Seems like ITP wants us Sportsman folks to have bright wheels or something.

So... I bought a new set of type-5's, and took them to a metals finisher and I'm having them powder coated black. That happens to be the same process that ITP uses. The problem is that the type-5's come clear coated so a bit of prep work is involved to remove it. The type-6's are not cleared, but are polished. And prep would be required there as well. The ultra smooth finish is just too slick for the powder coating to work well. So either way you go, it won't be a shoot it and pick it up deal.

I have one set in being done right now, and because it's a "friend-of-a-friend" deal, I'm not too sure as to when I'll get them back or how much it's going to cost. If these turn out, I'm going to get one, possibly two more sets, also done in black. With Mossy Oak camo body work..... How cool will that be?!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

The wheels are going to end up with a VERY durable finish, but like with all "coatings", I'm sure they will chip sooner of later.... Oh well... It'll be cool for a while anyway!!

Hope this helped a bit.... (just remember, you heard it here first!!! LOL!!)

Old 10-09-2004, 10:13 PM
Pro Rider

hey thanks moosehunter. I had thought about the powdercoating idea already but don't want to spend the money on a new set of wheels and then the additional money to get them coated. If I can find a set of cheap used ITP's then I'll go that way and then get them coated. I have a powdercoating place about 5 miles away from my home, this is the same place I had my harley sportster frame powdercoated at. there is a pic of the bike on my gallery page. they did my frame, swingarm, triple trees and brake calipers for $200. I wonder what they charge for a set of atv wheels.

Old 10-09-2004, 10:20 PM
Pro Rider

Here is my new '05 700 EFI with the ITP Type 5C wheels and 27" 589s. You can do as was mentioned and get them refinished. Basically they sandblast them with Aluminum Oxide (does not affect tolerances, light blast media) and then they spray on the finish and then bake them. I actually have the equipment, sandblaster (powered by air compressor), spray gun and paint. They will fit in my oven to bake. They usually require 275 degrees for 1.5 hours. Can't heat Aluminum as much as steel. Steel is baked at 350 degrees for an hour.

Anyways, nice wheels, and light. Tires are heavy, but if you read in other threads, I'm also getting a set with Mud Lites on them, which will be much lighter.

Here it is: Pic

Old 10-10-2004, 11:53 AM
Pro Rider

hey great pics elkbow, I like your new EFI. I love the new plastics, the duel taillights and the larger headlights but don't like the storage compartment and the fact that there isn't a rack on the front. overall I like the new sportsmans but can you take the compartment off and install a regular rack. I like the brush guard and wheels/tires you put on your quad, I also like how the winch is kinda hidden behind the polaris plastic. I would like to install a couple more mods to my 04 EFI like wheels/tires, red/black seat cover, and a pure polaris muffler.

Old 10-11-2004, 03:38 AM
Pro Rider

The Vision wheel looks good and they are now offered by Polaris in the 05 cataloge. Maxxis still doesnt have the Max light 8 spoke out for Polaris yet so I 'm going with th Vision. You get the caps and lugs all for $69 ea.
www.treadepot.com/tireswheels.c/orders/index.html
http://www.bigbuckrack.com/Vision.htm

Old 10-11-2004, 08:14 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: silverbullet2005
hey great pics elkbow, I like your new EFI. I love the new plastics, the duel taillights and the larger headlights but don't like the storage compartment and the fact that there isn't a rack on the front. overall I like the new sportsmans but can you take the compartment off and install a regular rack. I like the brush guard and wheels/tires you put on your quad, I also like how the winch is kinda hidden behind the polaris plastic. I would like to install a couple more mods to my 04 EFI like wheels/tires, red/black seat cover, and a pure polaris muffler.
No need to remove the front storage rack, it sits the same height as last years rack and it utilizes the empty space that was below the rack. You can add the 4" rack to the top from Polaris:

Front Rack

Also remember, the new '05s have 4" height racks, not 3" like previous years, its alot nicer have 4" racks...

dave