Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Last Polaris I'll own!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 10:54 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Last Polaris I'll own!!!!

SNOWWOLFE,
Im not trying to come off as a smart asz or anything like that but you ''obviously'' have not seen the quads I listed or dont know what your talking about?I GAUREENTEE you that ALL the quads I listed have the capability to turn ALL 4 wheels with equal torque just like your Polaris does when they are in the DIFFERENTIAL LOCK MODE...This is not something I just ''think happens''but something im CERTAIN they can do.You make it sound as though your Polaris is special with this feature,but as I said,I GAUREENTEE,its NOT.

Old 10-20-2004, 11:45 PM
Pro Rider

Thats ok. I never thought you were being a smart a$$. I am sure you are telling me what you know to be true. Same with me. I have watched numerous Visions, Honda's (not sure of the models) and more than a few Grizzlys all sit in the mud turning 3 wheels. Not sure if I seen a Kawaskai do it as they are not popular up here at all. Interesting observation on both sides.

Old 10-20-2004, 11:55 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Snowwolfe,

The only atv you listed that has a front diff lock is the grizz, and I assure you that it works on that model.

Old 10-21-2004, 12:12 AM
Pro Rider

I have ridden a 660 Grizzly extensively, and the 4x4 system is terrible. it is awkward to use, and regardless of what muddy says, it does not power both fronts positively. I think that is the idea, but I also have seen several of them at mud bog competitions spin only three wheels while locked and in 4 low. They seem to work fine thru the first part of the bog, but near the end when you have to climb up a slick nearly vertical embankment they always seem to revert to 3x4. maybe this is a safety system to keep you from breaking axles or something. All I know is, when they start to really work hard under a lot of strain, they are NOT all turning. I have seen it many times on many Grizzlies, same thing in the pulling competition. My Polaris 4x4 will spin both front wheels evenly with ful power going to both. With the 28s it will actually tear the handlebars out of your hands if you're not careful, when one wheel gets some traction and says "hey, let's go this way!" Also, Grizzlies are not well waterproofed. Always see them drown in water that the Polaris' go through without a problem. Come to think of it, I havent seen any machine drown as much as the Grizzlies do. (Watched an entire organized ride with dozens of machines do a water cross, only machines that drowned were the Grizzlies and a couple small Hondas.) Other than that I like them. Nice motor, quicker than my 700, IRS, cool looking plastic. I dont care for having the winch mounted down underneath where you have to swim for it when you get stuck.
All that aside, I have had numerous problems with my 700, mostly because it was a brand new design, I shoul have waited for the bugs to be worked out, let someone else be a guinea pig. Many of the problems were my own fault, like breaking both front axles when I hung the 28s on it. I also broke both front aftermarket dual CV axles, supposedly design flaws that were corrected. but I bought it and modified it to beat the snot out of it, so I can't bitch too much.
So, in conclusion, I look forward to seeing the Grizzlies at the next mudbog.

Old 10-21-2004, 03:44 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is my understanding that the grizz cant run over 22mph with the front locker on, so most people dont run the locker in the mud bogs unless they have bypassed the limiter...

My guess is your "experiences" are a reflection of this.

Old 10-21-2004, 06:32 AM
Weekend Warrior

MADDOG,
You are RIGHT ON THE MONEY here with your observation of the Grizz 660 with a diff lock.The front wheels will not go faster than 22 mph in diff lock WITHOUT sputtering.Many mudders wont use the front Diff lock on a Grizz because it limits its wheel speed while in serious mud.This is a designed feature by Yamaha to prevent the operator from getting himself out of control while having ALL 4 wheels locked.It is very simple to ''over-ride'' this feature and many riders do.The past President of out ATV club here in Michigan did this modification to his Grizz and did pretty good in a mud bog.My Honda Rincon has a reverse limiter on it and I HATE it!------It limits my reverse speed to about 7 mph when im operating in reverse.And the sad thing is,is that no one has been able to sucessfully over-ride this feature without screwing up something else in the process.

SNOWWOLFE,
I dont doubt your word either about the ATVs you mentioned,because they DONT have a front diff locker[except the Grizz 660],If you look at my list of the ATVs WITH front diff lockers from the factory,these are the ones with you should look for next time your out..I have also seen my fair share of ATVs[especially Honda's] only power up ONE front wheel.There sure is a huge traction advantage of being able to get all 4 wheels to power up for you when things get real sticky.And I personally like Polaris 4x4 system.Especially the newer ones that dont have the front leaky hubs.I have a new 700cc EFI Suzuki King Quad with EFI on order.It has a locking front diff AND an over-ride button.Should be a nice quad?

Bill