Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Last Polaris I'll own!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 01:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Last Polaris I'll own!!!!

i found your problem..stop taking it to the dealer to have it fixed and buy a manual and learn to repair them yourself..sounds like the dealer is just playing the guess game on whats wrong,replace this,nope that didnt work,replace that,nope that didnt work either hmm what shall we replace next?my buddy is going through the same thing with the dealer around here,they just keep replacing parts but have no reason for doing so except "we think thats the problem"..also you have 3 used machines,maybe they were beat to he!! before you bought them?polaris is just as reliable as honda and more reliable than most others..

Old 10-20-2004, 01:24 PM
Pro Rider

Something is wrong with this picture Syclone..(not that you did anything wrong).
But the Fact that you had to have the Carbs rebuilt on 2 different machines with so little time on them says something..(again, not that your doing anything wrong). But perhaps the Gas in your area is not up to par.. Or perhaps your leaving them set for long periods of time with fuel in the carb? I feel it's rare that a Carb just WEAR out and need rebuilt.. In Fact in over 30 years of riding, I have only rebuilt One carb for just plain wearing out..but many others from just sitting.
The Cutting out your describing on your 500 sounds like the reverse rev limiter is engageing.
The Next time you try it,If its cutting out, try pushing in your Reverse overide button and see if that cures the problem. We can go from there.. Hope this helps out just a bit!

Old 10-20-2004, 01:33 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

That is what I was thinking....never really hear of carb rebuilds........Or your dealer could be just using that, and all it really needs is rejetted or something.

As for the chains and sprockets, cv joint, belt and covers, tie rod ends..........that stuff is normal wear and tear, the user before you might could have helped prevent this from happening for about a year or so, but its going to happen......on any make of quad.

As for the x(I assume you mean ScramblerX...) The clutch thing concerns me a little, they don't go out that fast. That could be another dealer scam..........Also the electrical system bothers me too........I don't think replacing the whole electrical system would cost that much!!!!!

Like said above, save yourself money and do the repairs yourself.....we'll help you through it. Also about you always breaking down........before you go riding(maybe a few days before) you should give your quad a good look over.....and inspect things that are going to break, and replace them before they do......this would help a lot of problems. This would have stopped the chain and sprockets, tie rod ends, belt cover, belt, and possibly the cv joint.

Anyways, maintaince is a MUST(this includes the stuff you do, and replacing the old with new)

Old 10-20-2004, 01:40 PM
Pro Rider

Syclone...

Sorry to hear about your troubles. When you post something like this in the forums, you get alot of responses made up of people telling you that <u>YOU</u> must be doing something wrong or posting about how <u>THEIR</u> polaris has been bulletproof and without any troubles. I say go with what YOU know. So far you have had several Polarises and even more problems. This is not normal! You should "with routine maintaince" be able to go riding with almost no worries of breaking down. Looks like you would be better off going with another brand. I'm not polaris bashing, just suggesting the obvious.

Old 10-20-2004, 01:48 PM
Pro Rider

I have a few friends that have Polaris quads, many times we have gone out one of their quads needs attention.
sometimes its simple sometimes not, But I equate the polaris quads to the old bultaco and penton dirt bikes.
The will run like hell and go anywhere when running good but it seems like the maint. is more that the other quad brands I ride with. I'm not bashing anyone, I have seen polaris quads go through places No one would ever dream of going. Sometimes it seems as though the guys that have the polaris quads that do not have any problems are the few lucky ones. Just my opinion and it is not right or wrong.

Old 10-20-2004, 02:16 PM
Pro Rider

Replacing chains and spockets on a 4 year old quad is not a repair. It is scheduled maintence. I agree with the others about the supposely required carb rebuilds also. They shouldnt be needed. In my experience 90% of engine sputtering or missing can be traced to water in the fuel. Everyone should try adding a small amount of HEET to there gas tank if they experince this before going to the dealer. As far as my other comments about Polaris still having the only true 4 wheel drive system I stand by my claim with the exception of the diff lock on the old Suzuki King Quad. All four wheels would have power but this thing was impossible to steer easily. When we ride we often have all brands represented and when we get stuck in a mud bog (part of the fun!!!) The other brands always have one front wheel that doesnt have power in the mud. The Polaris drives all 4 as soon as the smallest amount of traction is lost. Sorry to get off track here.
If you are going thru that many belts I would suspect your may not be using low range enough. I have never replaced a belt on a Polaris.

Old 10-20-2004, 03:04 PM
Trailblazer

thewayout420, you’re right. I believe it’s been the guessing game. I do need to get a manual and start working on it myself if I could find the time. I guess I’ll have to start making the time so I can save some money.

Ktmguy70, the carb rebuild on the X was because it had sat up too long (carb was green!!!) but the reason is, I had to save the money for the clutch to be replaced. Oh yea, the clutch is a used one. A new one costs over $500.00. The clutch was the front pulley the drive belt runs on. They said it was highly unusual for this to go out. Symptoms: when you would start it up, it would try to take off. N, R, H or L

The guy at the shop told me it could be the Stater (is that right? is this possible?) on the X going bad. He also tried the Reverse Override button when I took it back but it didn’t change. Still blowing black smoke.

Sorry Bradracer18, it’s a Blue Sportsman X 500 H.O. I just use the X for short.

Snowwolfe, I agree about the chains & sprockets but I've never heard of a CV Joint going out so quickly?

If I could just get the bugs worked out of the X, I believe it WOULD BE bulletproof. After all the money I've put into it, it should be.

Sy

Old 10-20-2004, 03:14 PM
Pro Rider

Syclone, Now maybe your Clutch WAS bad, but many, MANY of us have had the creeping problem you describe. WHen at idle it would try to creep forward or backward, sometimes shifting into Gear was a bit hard. This is USUALLY solved by placing a shim behind the secondary. It's about a 15 minute job. The problem is usually the primary is out of alignment with the secondary.The belt will usually ride against the engine side of the sheave resulting in the creeping you experienced.. I sure hope This wasnt the case, because the new clutch will only mask it for a short while and youll need to shim out the secondary regardless. Im really starting to believe as others are, that your dealer isn't really that experienced with these machines.. Which is my Number 1 complaint about polaris.. The dealerships just dont have any qualified mechanics.

Old 10-20-2004, 03:15 PM
Pro Rider

I have a scrambler X and on several occasions when I have been out at silver lake sand dunes with it and a couple buddies and their rides. My polaris has spent many hours just sitting in the parking lot, not because of something wrong with it but because of something wrong with suzukis or hondas or even my banshee (carb, got sand in the idle jet). Not once have I had to stop riding because of a problem with my polaris. Other manufacturers have the same problems.

If you do they work and use the forums to help you troubleshoot your problem will save yourself a ton of money in the long run(your case with all the repairs you have done the short run). You wont have to wait very long to bite the bullet and buy yourself a new machine if you so chose too.

Old 10-20-2004, 04:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote]
Originally posted by: ZimRaptor
Originally posted by: tbsleeper
sounds like ur not doing something right...ive never had any troubles except my bearing carrier
not doing anything right...he washes it, and greases, changes the oil, and rides it like an old man........
how the heck can he be doing anything wrong?

please watta u tryin to say polaris is worse than ur yamaha hahahaha

Quick Reply: Last Polaris I'll own!!!!