Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Big hole in sidewall of tire

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2004, 08:18 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big hole in sidewall of tire

I was recently riding and within mintues my front tire was FLAT , found a nice gash about an inch and half long in the inside sidewall of front left tire. Plugged it but did nothing, (hole was to big) put patches on it, did nothing. dealer said put a tube in it so i had my buddy do that. (not sure how that is working now) I planned on getting new sets of rims and tires anyways. This is prolly just gonna make me do it faster than i wanted, Question is you think i should just get 1 new tire to fix solution or get the whole set. I need to know if i order rims/tires off of the web at a place im sure you'll reccommend if they come mounted (which i hope they do) do you know if there is any place that might send them the tires out already mounted on the rims? Im thinking of the Mudlites, or the bearclaws. Not sure of the rims, Dont want to pay way to much. but dont wanna get the cheap ones where i pebble might dent them. Help me out guys , and again Thanks alot.

Freddy

Old 10-26-2004, 12:28 AM
Pro Rider

how worn are your old tires... if they are fairly new then just get 1 new tire if they are significantly worn then get the set it will be better in the end. rims are nice just a not needed feature

Old 10-26-2004, 12:38 AM
Pro Rider

o and by the way u should have put a tire patch over the hole before u put the tube in. sometimes the tube will get pinches by the hole and over time wear through the tube. and without the patch your hole may become larger over time from the abuse these tires take

Old 10-26-2004, 12:42 AM
Elite Pro Rider

I put a nice 1" long slash in the sidewall of my stock front tire. I planned on gettign new tires anyway, but wanted to still be able to move it around the house on all 4 tires. I was able to patch the hole with 5 patches. 2 on the outside of the tire and 3 on the inside. It held air fine, but I would not trust taking it out on the trail. I ended up getting the 6-ply 489 X/Ts soon afterward. I personally dont trust tubes on ATV tires. If you get a flat there is no way to repair it on the trail. If you dont want to spend the money on new tires right now, then just replace the one. Most places that you order from online will mount the tires to the rims if you buy them at the same time. It never hurts to ask though. There is a guy that I have hooked a few people up with that will give you a great deal on ITP rims and tires. I believe he carries Maxxis too. PM me if you want his site

Old 10-26-2004, 02:32 AM
Trailblazer

Me and my dad were draging up compition hill at the dunes and we came together and my peg went into his front rim .. and his peg went into my back tire and sliced a 1 inch hole in it .... I got back home and knew it couldnt be patched, and these are 250.00$ haulers .... so I took it down to big O tires and they actually patched it for me ... and these are non tubles tires ... so i got it back and it held up just fine ... call around to discount or big O , or any other tire dealership if you want to keep the tire

Old 10-26-2004, 11:33 AM
Trailblazer

thanks alot guys, I will be picking up the quad today and ill have to see how the tire is w/ that tube inside. Again thanks for the replys. BBS i will be PM you soon for them web sites to purchase rims and tires. Thanks guys.

Freddy

Old 10-26-2004, 08:05 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To get by on I have used up to 7 plugs and covered a gash with silicone.The boy had a gash like the one you had and he got through the day.

Old 10-26-2004, 08:55 PM
Pro Rider

You might be able to get the sidewall patched (We call it vulcanizing up here) I had it done to one of mine and it has been OK for 2000 miles. Try an auto tire shop. I don't think I would like to put a tube in because you have to silicone the tire to the rim to keep the tire from spinning and cutting off the valve stem

Old 10-27-2004, 02:10 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

i bought Outlaws,Outlaw Radials, and a set of Bi/Tri claws from Highlifter.com

they came mounted and ready to go.

nice people to work with.

-MT[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-27-2004, 01:47 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks alot guys, there is actually a tube in my front tire now. Seems like its holding air pretty good so far, we'll see when i hit the trails though. Thanks for the Website MT. Have a good wkend riding everyone.

GO SOX !!

Freddy