Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportsman in Snow and Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2004, 01:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportsman in Snow

See my other response below for the question.
We got about 8 inches last night. There was a lot of drifting too. I compared my sportsman with my Outlander. The Outlander has Mudrunners, the sportsman has stockers.
The sportsman handled the snow much better. I was impressed with the stock tires. I think the other factor helping the sportsman was all that extra weight that people complain about.

Merry Christmas,

Jeff

Old 12-23-2004, 02:04 PM
Pro Rider

ya my dads friend had a sportsman we took it up north and i was goin threw some snow that was at least 14 inchs deep, heck i was following the sleds on some of the trails, a 500 sportsman can get you in some tight spots, and get you out fine.

Old 12-23-2004, 02:12 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

we got 11 inches of ice (alot of ice pellets) and my 800 was going through it fine, exept you had to keep the RPM's above 4000 or ited get stuck even in 4 wheel drive, the DOT is totaly unprepaired dispite all the boasting they were doing, and like 20 people have already died because of it. this is nothing but everyone is freaking out, why dont you go to michigan ya buncha hicks! (sorry if i offended anyone from the southern area, it just pisses me off when every one is freaking out about a measly 11 inches of ice)

Old 12-24-2004, 12:06 AM
Pro Rider

Here's the one thing I don't understand though. Today I was driving in about 10-11 inches of snow and the front wheels were constantly hopping. I couldn't imagine why. It was starting to annoy me. It was on my sisters 4 acres which is flat and mowed. I have 11 inches of clearance under the front and the snow wasn't quite touching.

Earlier today though I was in about 6-8 inches driving around the subdivision and the front wheels didn't hop at all.

Any ideas why the front tires were constantly hopping in the 10-11 inch snow conditions?

Thanks.

Old 12-24-2004, 12:18 AM
Pro Rider
Default Sportsman in Snow and Question

Jeff,
It depends on your speed, what they are doing is floating on the snow and then coming back down to get traction and when it does it will give a hopping motion. When you were in less snow, the front end stays down more. Check your rear suspension and make sure the adjuster is on the stiffest setting.

The stock tires perform well, thats why I was telling you to try the stock tires before hand. If you want some bigger mud/snow tires, I may sell my 589's, I can't keep switching, need to either pic the Mudlites or 589's, just haven't decided yet....lol. 3 Sets of tires are too much to play with. I've been looking at motorcycle steering stabilizers and trying to figure how I can put one on the front of the polaris. I need to make a pivoting mount somehow, doesn't need to pivot much, but I don't want any binding and don't want to make the nice steering on the Polaris any tougher....

dave

Old 12-24-2004, 01:40 AM
Trailblazer

For the guys that do alot of snow riding I suggest buying a set of v-bar chains for the rear tires. I know, I know, Polaris goes through the snow fine without them. But trust me you'll never want to snow ride without them again.

Old 12-24-2004, 10:25 AM
Pro Rider

Dave,
Thanks for the info. I was thinking last night that since you have such an awesome headlight kit that maybe you could make a reverse override kit.

It would be useful during times when someone is stuck in the snow and wants to get off the quad and use the throttle in reverse.

Just a thought.

Jeff

Old 12-24-2004, 10:44 AM
Pro Rider

Jeff,
that would be the only reason to use one.....if I made it, I would put in a switch....I don't mind having the reverse override button there....someone was saying that you lose the functions of checking different features when putting in a permanent mod, do I need to look into the wiring, I have the manual, so can figure out how it is wired....

dave