Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

4 wheel EBS on a Polaris

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 09:53 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 wheel EBS on a Polaris

I found this on another board. At the bottom is the link to the other forum. I exchanged email with the author and he agreed to share his procedure.

This procedure "tricks" the AWD system, and you will not find it in the Polaris Owner's Manual.

How to engage AWD engine braking:

Pull up to the edge of the hill slightly on the down hill side.
LOOK BEHIND YOU - make sure it is safe to back up!
Put the ATV in reverse, HOLD the reverse over-ride button, and give it enough throttle to make the rear tires break loose (and engage AWD in reverse).
Select low range or high range as needed, depending on how steep the slope is, and let it just idle down the hill. Beware - if you feel like it is going too slow and you give it a little gas, the AWD will disengage!

However, if you have a HeelClicker kit in your clutch, you CAN give it a little bit of gas and get on down the hill without unlocking it.

When you get to the bottom, just go a little faster and they will unlock.
Note that when the front wheels are locked, it will be hard to steer; so go slow and be careful!

In some cases, the 4wd may unlock even at idle. If the rear starts sliding, just stop, put it in reverse and repeat the procedure.

It works REAL GOOD!

Don't forget: LOOK BEHIND YOU BEFORE YOU BACK UP!

How to engage AWD engine braking

Old 01-05-2005, 02:50 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 wheel EBS on a Polaris

If your 4x4 system was working correctly the procedure you are doing wouldn't work. I know what you're talking about doing but as soon as you put it in forward and start to drive off it will disengage. Sometimes it's a bit stiff but if you move the steering just a bit it releases the AWD system. Always worked that way on my past 3 polaris atvs.