Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

best sportsman mod....

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2005 | 09:49 PM
Default best sportsman mod....

Question.......and tell me if my brain is working properly.

The Sportsman 500 and the Sportsman 400 have essentially the same engine. The 400 is a smaller bore/de-stroked version with smaller carb and jetting. Is the exhaust system the same?......I think it is but don't know for sure. If the exhaust system is the same.......and it was designed originally for the 500.....the 400 came later......I would presume that the exhaust system is relatively "free flowing" then for the 400??? and I'm better of doing intake mods first on my 400 before jumping to a new exhaust system???

Old 02-05-2005 | 10:05 PM
|
Trailblazer

your brain is working entirely correct...

the engines are exactly the same with the exception of the bore and stroke. so is the tranny and whole bike. but you may be mistaken about the freer-flowing part. just listen to what i have to say and dont get offended. the original exhaust system and engine of the Sportsman 500 were not an H.O., or High Output...the original engine had the same carb and cam as the 400...so the engine was basically flowing the same only under higher pressure, but only a little higher pressure, not really enought to make a difference. so the pipe was basically made for a 400 and is actually robbing a little power from an H.O. or at least thats the way i would figure it to be.

therefore the intake mods may be good but the exhaust is fine. and if you do get a pipe dont get a Hot Seat Performance pipe and silencer. i have one, mine is bad, and i only hear bad things about them.

glad to be of any service

Wes

Old 02-05-2005 | 10:20 PM

Thank you Mr. Brainiac.

Although the answer was not entirely what I wanted to hear........I would certainly not be offended. Now if you called me a !@#$%^&*()_+!!!...........THEN I would be offended!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Bob

Old 02-06-2005 | 12:42 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Bladebite
Oldsmoboat, now I was making an honest attempt to be sorry, and now you have to bust my chops over " HEEL " Well, thanks mom. I'll be sure to pay attention to that in the future...I still LOVE you...HA HA
You missed my wink. I love you too, bro.

Old 02-06-2005 | 09:21 PM
Range Rover

Oldsmoboat...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] I sometimes laugh until it hurts, in these forums. Backinthesaddle, go with what Brainiac said about the HSP exhaust, unless you're willing to re-work it and make it like it should have been when you spent your money on it, at which point you've got to ask yourself the same question I've found myself asking me...: Why even buy it to start with? Overall I guess HSP can be okay for the money, but I even had to refine their helix and rollers to make them hold-up and function correctly. Couldn't say what, if anything, there is to gain by a 500's pipe on a 400. I will say this, though, if there was something to gain by using a generic fit ehaust between two units, well, I would think that Polaris themselves would have already done that, considering the simplicity of it, combined with the savings of not having to re-tool for another exhaust, and the fact that motorsports manufacturers like getting that extra torque if it comes easy. And if the tranny is the same, which I'm inclined to believe that it is, considering how many models of Polaris are using the same frame, then regulating so as not to over-stress the drivetrain wouldn't be an issue. Not much help, I know, but I'm not able to concentrate real well right now, as I know Oldsmoboat is about to critique and spell-check me...That dude makes me nervous! What the heck, at least I may come out of here with a more advanced education. Imagine that ; eight years of college and I'll learn how to spell right here on ATV connection, with Oldsmoboat to guide me along my way...Thanks, my brother.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-07-2005 | 01:17 AM
Pro Rider

In my case on both my 400 and my 500HO, I'd say the Heel Clicker clutch set up. I'm just not into modding a new engine with a couple years left of warranty. The HC Clutch really allows for customizing for virtually ANY type of riding and it's not expensive compared to its value.

Old 02-11-2005 | 07:32 PM
Range Rover

I figured out a new Sportsman is going to be the best mod

Old 02-11-2005 | 09:52 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I belive I have just witnessed the weirdest internet phenomonon, people flaming each other and then appologizeing...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 02-12-2005 | 01:32 AM
Range Rover

Yes, once in a great while people figure out they have maybe been a bit harsh, i.e., myself, and for what was a simple misunderstanding, and they make an attempt to rectify it. At the end of the day it can make ya feel better about yourself.

Old 02-12-2005 | 01:52 AM
Range Rover

....at the end of the day it can make ya feel better about yourself
I feel the same way...

after a fifth of Yukon Jack!!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]