Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

What should I do? Buy a KQ or SPortsman?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 10:57 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What should I do? Buy a KQ or SPortsman?

You still have a width problem on the suzuki. My dad has a eiger and the paint comes off ever where there is a weld, Then here comes the rust. You just cant compare these two machines.

Old 02-10-2005, 02:33 PM
Range Rover

Snowwolfe and others,

What do you like better about the KQ as to the Sp?
My wife is 119 #'s and she saw the testing on ATV TV and said she might want to try the KQ.
I CG looks lower and when I looked at the KQ the other day it seems to have more of it's weight at a lower CG.
She doesn't like the way the Sp has a lot of body roll. Maybe a sway bar disconnect kit?

Please feel free to give me as much info as possiuble as your input, along with others, really count.

Rick

Old 02-10-2005, 03:20 PM
Pro Rider

It's simple:

KQ: lighter, more sporty, easier to handle for a lighter person, EFI, low end engine lag, reverse gear deficiency "fixed" by Suzi by controlling engine power while in reverse instead of a mechanical fix, inadequate racks, less suspension than Polaris, no automatic AWD, first year out.

Sportsman: heavier, more solid and stable. good power throughout rpm range, proven motor, proven transmission with Polaris snowmobile history to back it up, useful racks, most user friendly, effective AWD on the market.

I have the SP600 and am 6', 200# and have never even come close to tipping. With its weight the Polaris is probably less likely to go over.

Old 02-10-2005, 03:30 PM
Pro Rider

Excellent synopsis.

My wife is 5'0" 105lbs and has no problems running her 04 Sportsman 400 during an all day ride and fairly aggressive rides. It is the only atv that she has not complained about her back on. It is very comfortable. She is also envious of the storage I have on my 05. Thats definately a wonder addition thanks to Polaris.

They are heavy machines but tend to feel very light on the larger CC models. I find the 05's to have a more plush suspension but not as good cornering as my 04 had. It is also very evident when I add the plow to my 800. The suspension is too plus up front. My 04 didn't come close to dropping very much as I had no trouble flying up and down hills (~45mph) with a 60" glacier plow on. My 05, I gotta be carefull or I bottom out the plow.

I honestly feel you will be happy with either one. They are both great machines and zerowick pretty much summed it up.

Old 02-10-2005, 03:50 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: scarabrick

She doesn't like the way the Sp has a lot of body roll. Maybe a sway bar disconnect kit?

Rick
That would make it worse, not better.

Old 02-10-2005, 04:06 PM
Pro Rider

To be honest the KQ is in a league of its own. It is the smoothest ATV I have ever ridden and it has gobs of power, is 140 pounds lighter, is easy to steer, handles great and is pretty much vibration free. It's faults are smallish racks, sucky tires and lack of better underbody protection. I have never experienced the so called "low end bog".
The Polaris has better racks, tires, skid plates and a better AWD system.
I would of bought a 3rd Polaris except my wife spotted the KQ while we were shopping and that is what she wanted. If they would of had it in a 500 version with EFI it would be an even better bike. I think this power race is crazy. I have never once needed the power of a motor bigger than a 500 for hunting or utility uses. The only reason I went with the 700's was for the EFI. My 6x6 has the 500 motor in it and weighs 900 pounds and it has never been underpowered even while loaded with 300 pounds of moose meat and pulling a 500 pound trailer.
You will never own the biggest and best ATV on the market. There is always something new and better on the horizion. Buy what you like and forget the details. More importantly buy the wife what she wants and dont confuse her with spec's because they simply dont care. Cheers!

Old 02-10-2005, 04:20 PM
Pro Rider

You are absolutely right. The smaller quads do about anything you need them to do. The bigger engines are there for us POWER hungry people.

Old 02-10-2005, 04:25 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: jimmypsp700
Originally posted by: scarabrick

Rick
That would make it worse, not better.
Yes it would. The 05's seem to have more roll. I don't find it a hinderence but wasn't what I was used to. Its kinda funny, my buddy's 05 500HO, the rear tire comes off the ground on a quick hard turn on pavement. I never felt where it would roll as 4 wheel Idependant suspension drops center of gravity in certain situations and makes a wider stance. I think it is apparent that the Sportsman isnt the best of both worlds, but sure is close.
Another comment I hear about the Sportsman is - Wow that thing is big!

Again, I think you will find contentment in either quad.

Old 02-11-2005, 10:40 AM
Pro Rider

The kq i rode in no shape or form did it ride better the the sportsman. The seat on the 05sp are really soft and wide. Im not saying it a bad quad, its not a bad one , I just think the sportsman is better.