Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sand Tires - how important?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2005, 04:30 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sand Tires - how important?

For those in the know - I need some assistance. I just bought some new wheels and was considering getting some sand paddles to put on them since I want to head out to the dunes. Problem is I also ride trails etc and really dont want to have to constantly change between wheels if I dont have to. I still have the stock Maxxis tires that came on my TLD Predator 500, how well do these work in the sand?
Am I being stupid by not putting on paddles? Please feel free to tell me, my feelings wont be hurt since my wife tell me I am stupid all the time! heheheheh

-Shane

Old 02-11-2005, 06:46 AM
916 Reaper - Pure Evil Inside!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

100% of my riding is dunes/sand. I just got some ITP SandStars, and the difference from the stock Maxxis are night and day in the dunes, espically in the soft sand. All the stockers want to do is spin and spin they will do all day in the sand. With the SandStars I get a good hook up and I am off. You will will have a better time in the dunes with a good set of paddles.

Thanks Chris

Old 02-11-2005, 10:30 AM
Pro Rider

I would definately get some paddles. You will have a much better time. The razrs don't do real well in the sand. I got stuck a lot with them. I don't think it's that hard to change a set of tires. You can do it in under 10 mins. And that's taking your time. I've done it in under 5.

Old 02-11-2005, 11:19 AM
Pro Rider

If you have the means and oppurtunity get paddles for the sand!!! Stay away from Geckos. You will find arguements as to what type a mile long. Just do some searches on this site in the dune forums. You won't find a deffinite answer, but you will find lots of info.

Old 02-11-2005, 12:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well, if your going to gordans well dunes then i think you would get around fine, i did! but if your going to be riding the back dunes then you back end will be sliding down. I have paddles and its a lot easier to get around the back dunes though.

Old 02-11-2005, 12:39 PM
RAJ
Pro Rider

Just a thought.......find a set of rear rims and put the paddles on them, this is what I might do. I think the paddles would work better, on the dirt drags. You can find a good pair of paddles on e-bay sometimes cheap. They are a pair on there now rims and tires.

Old 02-11-2005, 02:54 PM
Range Rover

It is definitely worth the ten minutes or so it takes to swap out your rear wheels when you switch between dirt and sand. Absolutely! (Of course, you want to just be bolting on, not changing rubber on the rim. )
Since you have a four stroke, I would also recommend getting sandtires up front....helps a lot with steering and float. Just depends on how flush you are! You can easily get by without the fronts.
Since you are from Oregon, I assume you will be riding Winchester Dunes...and going back repeatedly! The sand tires will help keep the RPMs down.....running knobbies in big sand dunes in hot weather can really heat up an engine, because you are at high rpm constantly.
Enjoy the dunes!

Old 02-11-2005, 03:52 PM
Trailblazer

thanks guys! Since I use the HIper wheels it takes a little longer to switch out the tires but I get your point! I will go for the paddles then - BTW - what is the deal with the Geckos? Those are the ones I was going to get?

-Shane

Old 02-11-2005, 05:08 PM
Pro Rider

I think they are an ok tire just a little on the heavy side. I would personally go with Sand Stars. Inexpensive and hook up great.

Old 02-11-2005, 05:56 PM
Range Rover

I would bet that the tire most used at Glamis, by the thousands, is the Sand Skate II. I have them on my Raptor and they are great for my sand riding (I like to corner). I have the Geckos on my Predator and I really like them as well. I found that I needed to run them on the soft side or they felt too stiff. I think they are a tad heavier than the SS IIs. The (new) Sand Stars seem to be very popular, but I have not tried them.
Any of these should do you well.

Quick Reply: Sand Tires - how important?