Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportsman Awd engaging time

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2000, 03:39 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, maybe one more here. This one concerns how quickly awd engages the front wheels. Not in regular riding, but from a stop to a go when rock climbing. Does it wait long while the rears are spinning and then suddenly lurch into 4wd? Wondered about this once or twice as well. I'd hate to have a sudden kick in that sent the front end into the air. They say its torque sensing. Not sure what all that means. Can you feather your way into it with the throttle or do you just have to gas it until you get the rears spinning out. This is complicated to me for some reason, not the general aspect of it, but just in certain situations.

On top of that, is the automatic easy to feather the throttle out of tight spots? Is it easy to use the throttle and the brake both to hold yourself on a hill and slowly take off again, or will you have that tendency to spin tires and suddenly jump into 4wd all of a sudden? Just some more things about situations that don't come along that often, but still happen. Thanks again. The Hypocrite.

Old 09-24-2000, 03:46 AM
Pro Rider

HYPO;apparantley just behind you.You will have very hard time telling when the 4 wheel kicks in or out,it kicks in when back tires spin 1/5th of a turn,and releases when it's no longer needed.The only time I could tell it was engageing was in the sand,I would feelbike slipping sideways all of a sudden I was running straight.No jerk to it.Yes you can take off smooth.CM

Old 09-24-2000, 05:26 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Thats one point that sounds closer to my liking. Maybe I'll get a few more positive notes here and there and swing my decision. Getting paid this Friday will probably get the wheels in my head turning too. Tonight I'm Sportsman searching. Tomorrow night, who knows. You are probably the one guy here that I really take advice from though seeing that the stuff that you ride in most resembles the terrain that I look for. You can answer all of those rock hounding questions that I seem to ask a lot. Still I will say that if my Ac would have sold a week ago, I'd have a Sp500 right now. I may put mine in the paper again monday, seeing that four wheeler ads are free until the end of the month. Can't hurt.

Old 09-24-2000, 07:42 AM
Pro Rider

Andy Bashum you are absolutely turning me white headed and the bad part about I am having to follow chicken with all those feathers flying from that sportsman that needs a toner switch put on that yeller. You never really even know when it kicks can feather it even after stopping it on steep stuff and I have had to do this on stuff that was rocky and rutted out and it wasn't because I wanted to. I have only seen one situation where I wished it was a system you could kick in and out and it wasn't even on a steep place it was a stone, gravels beside the railroad track that was very narrow on one side was the track on the left side was a drainage pipe you know the ones about 12' high if I went over bye bye birdy. I was in a situation where making the back wheels spin would throw the rear end toward the pipe so I couldn't get the front end to engage...but they are always more than one way to skin a cat I simply jumped up on the track for a short distance and politely jumped back off. But anytime that you are on anything steep at all Andy it takes absolutely nothing to engage the front end as chickenman will tell you. That was what so weird about this situation...for gods sake andy buy the sportsman you are giving me that disease you get from typing...maybe some of those atv lawyers would represent me from typing on this forum eheheheehehehe

Old 09-24-2000, 02:00 PM
Pro Rider

ATVING my same thought I wish he would just buy the DAMN thing then we can talk about how well he likes it.Andy you want it and won't be happy till you buy it,just do it!!!!!!!CM

Old 09-24-2000, 07:41 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

You aren't getting any royalties from Nike with that line are you? I'm making an ATV Connection soap opera here. You're even in the main cast. You should be happy. If nothing else, this forum is racking up topics and posts right now. I'm also getting fired up about it again which I never have done a week after balking in the past. Might be the real deal. Right now, it will be the waiting game again. Basically, wait to sell the AC, or for somebody to give me a decent trade in. That may be what it comes down to. Somebody out there has to be in need of an AC500 with some mean looking accessories.

Old 09-25-2000, 12:32 AM
Pro Rider

AWD engagement time...Amazingly non apparent!

Darn...I couldn't answer with just amazing. You really can not scence it. It is by all means the best on the market.

Old 09-25-2000, 01:50 AM
Pro Rider

Andy,

The AWD kicking-in is seamless, as the others stated. Can't say I notice it engaging/disengaging. It works, and it works well.

What they said ... quite talking about it and buy the damn thing. Not that we mind discussing it with you, but there comes a time when it has been beat to death. The time has come. Put up, or shut up ... so to speak.

The Sportsman is one fine machine. In my opinion nothing out there touches it. For my use and creature comforts, it's the best. There will be more Sportsmen in my future, without a doubt.

We currently have a '98 Sportsman and an '87 Honda Four-Trax. The Honda has been a great machine, but it is too small and severely lacking in creature comforts and options. We fight for the Sportsman (my wife usually wins).

I have to know ... are all decisions in your life this tough? If they are , you must be one tortured individual inside. You know, there are shrinks for just this thing.

Like they said, buy the Sportsman HO and then write to us with your experiences.

PU or SU

DJ

Old 09-25-2000, 11:09 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Thanks for being so impatient there pal. What the hell do you want me to post about? Problems that I have heard of over the years with numerous polaris models? Reasons of why I have backed out of buying a Sportsman 3 times over the past few years not including the initial time when I decided on the AC. If you want to know what is getting old, its hearing "Just buy the damn thing".

Tell you what there Doug McKenzie, I plan to. I have a little matter of getting rid of another quad first. I think I've put that on here about 5 times already in other topics.

Old 09-26-2000, 12:30 AM
Weekend Warrior

Good one there DEEJ, why dont you give it a rest witht the attitude. Andy is asking good, relavent questions, because he has no experience with newer Polaris ATVs.

What do you think these forums are here for anyway? If it is really that annoying to you, simply do not read it. Instead of "PU or SU" as you state it--why dont you just "SU" if you can not contribute to the topic w/o bashing someone for asking the question.

Quick Reply: Sportsman Awd engaging time