Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Hi folks - new guy with questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 07:41 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi folks - new guy with questions

First of all, Hello everyone! I've never owned an ATV however for the past year I've been drooling/researching the idea of getting one. I'm the type of person that doesn't like to start small - I go right for the good stuff and keep it. That's why I THINK I've settled on getting a Polaris Sportsman 500-800 (not sure which model yet).

I have a few questions I'll shoot out there to see if I can get an answer or two;

First, is there a place I can go (online?) to find out specific HP or Torque figures (mapped curves would be awesome) for the different engines in the Polaris line up - other manufacturers would also be a plus?

Also, is there a noticeable difference between EFI models and non-EFI models? What are the advantages and disadvantages of each?

I've also been trying to find a "good" price on a new ATV and I've come across Chattanooga Polaris (I'm in VA and the prices could potentially be worth driving the 8-10 hours for!). Is this a reputable dealer and are there other dealers out there that offer prices this good?

That will do for now, I'm sure I'll have more questions so I hope I don't become a pain the a$$ to you guys! Thanks in advance!

Old 03-09-2005, 09:52 PM
Range Rover

I was told the EFI starts very easily but can be a little cold blooded at first start up in very cold weather. The EFI has instant power and is very quick with throttle response. Thats all I know, hope it helps.

Old 03-09-2005, 10:00 PM
Pro Rider

when you are talking about the sportsman 500 through the 800 EFI, alot of decisions to make....

some things to consider, do you need EFI?
do you need the power of the bigger machine?
will the weight of the bigger machines be an issue?
do you need the towing capacity of a larger machine?
do you need extreme gas mileage or can you setttle with less, will you be taking long rides?
do you have the money to spend?

I've got the '05 700 EFI, great gas mileage, not as fast as the 800, but not far behind...has the top payload other than the MV, and the EFI was my biggest choice....I live in New Mexico, changes in altitude are great....

read through the posts on here and it will help you decide...

dave

Old 03-09-2005, 10:49 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: elkbow
when you are talking about the sportsman 500 through the 800 EFI, alot of decisions to make....

some things to consider, do you need EFI?
do you need the power of the bigger machine?
will the weight of the bigger machines be an issue?
do you need the towing capacity of a larger machine?
do you need extreme gas mileage or can you setttle with less, will you be taking long rides?
do you have the money to spend?

I've got the '05 700 EFI, great gas mileage, not as fast as the 800, but not far behind...has the top payload other than the MV, and the EFI was my biggest choice....I live in New Mexico, changes in altitude are great....

read through the posts on here and it will help you decide...

dave

Well, some questions for your questions...

Why would I "need EFI" ? I've read that they start better in colder temps, so I'm guessing that since I live in VA and we hardly see it below 20 degrees here, that I wouldn't need it?

Needing the power...well, more power is always better [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] however I do not need it for towing or heavy usage. Most likely the hardest thing I'll do with it will be plowing the driveway. Otherwise I intend on getting the machine for trail riding.

Weight really isn't an issue, nor is how much it costs, within reason of course.

Extreme gas mileage - where would I look for this? Obviously I'd want the best mileage I could get - does EFI matter much with gas mileage? How would your 700 EFI compare to a 500HO gas mileage-wise?

Old 03-09-2005, 10:51 PM
Pro Rider

I got mine from Chattanooga Polaris ... so i can say that they are reputable.

As for the 500 vs 800 EFI ... what do you want to do with it?

Old 03-09-2005, 10:59 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: 20045SP500HO
I got mine from Chattanooga Polaris ... so i can say that they are reputable.

As for the 500 vs 800 EFI ... what do you want to do with it?
You drove from IL to TN to purchase because of price?

As for my use of the ATV, check up two posts...

Old 03-09-2005, 11:05 PM
Pro Rider

Yes I drove 11 hours one way ... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] ... They were $1500.00 less than any dealer in my area. The total trip ... fuel, room, food, gas ... was only $218.00 ... to me it was well worth it.

IMO the 500HO had all the power i needed ... i've never seen a Polaris Sportsman 500HO not able to spin all 4 tires, so i didn't think there was a lack of power.
I also wanted the pull start ... i just can't get over not having pull start backup.

You can look at my site for the type of riding i like to do [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-09-2005, 11:12 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: 20045SP500HO
Yes I drove 11 hours one way ... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] ... They were $1500.00 less than any dealer in my area. The total trip ... fuel, room, food, gas ... was only $218.00 ... to me it was well worth it.

IMO the 500HO had all the power i needed ... i've never seen a Polaris Sportsman 500HO not able to spin all 4 tires, so i didn't think there was a lack of power.
I also wanted the pull start ... i just can't get over not having pull start backup.

You can look at my site for the type of riding i like to do [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Pull start is not on the 600+?

I was checking out your site as you were typing your message [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-09-2005, 11:15 PM
Pro Rider

at the time Polaris didn't have pull start on any thing 600cc+ ... but now you can get the 700MV and it has pull start.

Old 03-09-2005, 11:21 PM
Trailblazer

A question for you, Chris, did you try to dicker with your local dealerships using the Chattanooga pricing, and if so, how successful were you? (obviously not very, since you went to TN to get it).

Quick Reply: Hi folks - new guy with questions