Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

500 AUTO MOD.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2001, 10:30 PM
sly
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cowboy & Minehunter

How is the mod to the clutch spring doing? I want to do the same thing if it is worth while. My belt barks alot on hill climbs and snow plowing. I have had water and mud in the belt housing via trany vent, so I took off housing cleaned it. I did notice a little ware on the belts side lower V. But not to bad. I was going to replace it but $ 134.00 is Kinda steep. I dont think its to that point by a long shot. Anyway I snorkled the vents and have not had any more water problems. I now want to do this mod. My question to you is, are you glad you did it!! If yes then Im going to do it too.

Thanks Sly

Old 08-21-2001, 01:05 AM
Pro Rider

Sly-
I can't speak on behalf of Minehunter for this one, but I can say this-I AM DAMN GLAD HE TOLD ME! I hate to say this, but if you scan back, or do a search on "minehunters tranny trick", or "auto clutch mod", something like that, you'll get both Minehunters full report, and my full report after towing logs and such.

To date, I can't think just now how many miles I've put on the machine, but I am definately glad I did his trick. it makes towing logs a lot easier on the machine, as it puts the power to the ground "right now", instead of easing into it. Maybe to compare responsiveness, if you have done this already, you'll know what I mean. When the machine comes stock, there is a little slop or play in the throttle-maybe 1/4"-1/2" or so??? Slip that rubber cover deal back, then loosen the jam nut. Now, screw the plastic nut out towards the ignition, this will tighten the cable. Keep feeling the throttle till it gets tight, or till there is instant response between pushing the throttle and engine idle increasing. At this point, you'll want to turn the handlebars to full-lock each direction to make sure idle doesn't increase. If idle increases, your a hair too tight, so loosen just enough that idle won't increase at full turn either direction. Tighten the jam nut, replace the rubber cover thingy.

Now, if you've done this already, you will know the difference between the stock loose throttle cable, and how it takes a little to get the machine going. As you press the gas, you slowly start to increase in speed. With the throttle cable tight, the second you touch the throttle, you start moving. I hate to sound so basic here, but this is the closest thing I can think of right now to compare to how the clutch mod works-it's kind of similar in a way I guess. Without the mod, as you touch the gas, you start increasing in speed slowly as you increase power. For towing logs like I do, or running in deep mud, you have to give it more gas initially to get moving, as the engine builds speed, or rpm's, it sets it in the higher rpm range, where the most power is at, and then you'll start moving. With the clutch mod, that power is there the minute you touch the gas. There is no hesitation, or slow gradual buildup. When I tow logs now in low range, it is like a diesel truck towing a trailer or something. Before, I'd hook up to a large log, the strap or chain would get tight, then I'd sit there for a second for the engine to rev then slowly start increasing in speed. Now, when I hook up to that same log, the line gets tight, and I'm moving right away-no hesitation now.

I think it gives you a sense of "more control" over the machine maybe, as you can "feel" it easier inching over tight, technical terrain, if that makes any sense, I don't know, but hopefully you get what I'm saying. The other thing is, when I swapped to running the huge 27" 'Claws, I lost a slight bit in high range. It took me a bit to get going up hill in high range, and I could not increase speed hardly at all. My Dad's 'Cat would easily walk away from me while going up hill in high range. With the clutch mod done, even with the 'Claws, I can now actually gain speed while going uphill in high range-it is like I never even put the 'Claws on there! Dad's machine cannot walk away from me anymore at all. Towing logs, or in the deep stuff, I have the definate edge. Low range is definately impressive now, moreso than before if you can believe that.

Anyway, if you're at all thinking about it, I think you should definately give it a shot if you have the time. It is RELATIVELY easy to do, doesn't take long at all really. I had a hard time shifting the spring to the newly drilled hole, that took a bit for me, but I don't think Minehunter had much trouble at all. Different procedures, or different machines, I don't know, but I will warn you, that was the hardest part. Everything else is cake.

The best thing about this mod other than it being so easy, it is completely free! And, if you don't like it, you can just take the cover off, pull the rear pulley and re-set the spring to the original hole and not worry about a thing ever again. So, for a free mod that you can alter to fit your desired needs, I personally don't think you can go wrong. I think if you work like I do, towing things, you'll definately love this thing, and if you do any real deep mud riding (by the sounds of your snorkels, you do), you'll love it equally as much. If you can spare a couple hours time, I highly recommend giving it a shot. Like I said, if you don't like it, you can always put it back to stock pretty easily.

Again, look back a couple weeks or so, there are a couple posts on this mod, both with full instructions how to do it, and Minehunter has some great pictures as well for visual aids, if he doesn't mind sharing.

Anyway, Best of Luck with that, if you do try it, I'd like to know what you think. I'm sure glad Minehunter mentioned this, for me, it has worked out great! ---oh, about that "bark" you mention-does it basically only do that when you are going along then stop hard, then take off again? If so, that is normal-the belt is turning at a certain rate of speed, when you break hard, you stop faster than the belt can slow down. This "bark" sound is simply the belt catching up again when you take off. I think it was Catlance who mentioned a trick to prevent that, which was blipping the throttle a bit just before you come to a complete stop-I think. This kept it from "barking" at you... Hope that helps,

Take care,

Mike

Old 08-21-2001, 11:41 AM
Pro Rider

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I'll tell you, I couldn't be happier with my machine since I have installed the clutch mod. I can still give you the instructions, but I don't know about the pictures. Since I did the mod, my computer crapped out and I had to get a replacement. I don't know if I had the pictures saved on a disk or not. I'll have to look into it and let you know. Like Cowboy said though the mod is really easy and best of all it's a freebie. If you had to buy the part instead of just doing it, it would cost around $50.00.

The difference is like night and day. I don't know the kind of riding that you do, but if it's hills i think that is where this mod really shines.

Old 08-21-2001, 01:05 PM
Range Rover

Just curious, you said “If you had to buy the part instead of just doing it, it would cost around $50.00.” Who sells this modification? Would it be any different?

Old 08-21-2001, 01:13 PM
Pro Rider

The part is the sping retainer plate. The plate costs about $50 with the hole drilled in it from the guy who originated the modification. It's no different than what I put on the forum, it's just predrilled from the shop is all. It's also something you can do at home just as well.

Old 08-21-2001, 01:36 PM
Range Rover

Thanks, minehunter. It would be nice to have/see some pictures if you have them available.

Old 08-21-2001, 11:50 PM
Trailblazer

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] OK, guys, fill me in. How did you compress that spring? It's a bad'un to screw with; it could screw right back! What's the best way to compress it ?

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] By the way, I owe you all a big THANK YOU!!! I'm new to the forum, and have picked up a lot of info from people who are really useing their 'Cats. Pat yer selves onna back !!

Old 08-22-2001, 02:21 AM
Pro Rider

Judging from your name, you a farmer by chance???? Sure hope so! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

So, you've drilled the hole already in about the 1 o'clock position? Well, congratulations, you're now at the hard part! heh heh heh. Sorry, just had a tough time from here for a few minutes myself. What I finally got to work was using a flat head screwdriver to press the spring down and under the lip of the top retainer plate that you just drilled the hole through. Once under, I used a combination of two screwdrivers -one angled down through the spring to help rotate, and the other to pull the pin part out far enough to actually grab with a pair of vicegrips. I had the entire clutch assembly in a vice by the way, that helps hole it in place. It was a bear for me to get the damn thing to pop back in the new hole, but by inching the screwdrivers forward a little at a time, I was able to finally make it work.

Minehunter had a relatively easy time at this for some reason-I sure wish I knew how, mine was pretty difficult at this point. Once you get that thing in where it should be though, it's a cake walk to finish it up.

Best of Luck, sorry I couldn't help much, hope that "inching" trick works at least, though it takes a couple tries.

Oh, and Welcome to the Pride, glad to have ya in the group!

mike

Old 08-22-2001, 03:35 PM
Pro Rider

If you have access to a couple of pairs of vise grips with the wide sheet metal holding jaws they work excellent for compressing and holding the spring. One of the wide jaw pliers and one regular should also work just as well. Once you have the spring compressed just twist it around to the hole at the one o'clock position.

The actual most CRUCIAL part of doing this job is to make sure that the belt is forced as far into the driven Pulley (rear) as possible when reinstalling the belt. This will prevent you from warping the drive pulley (fwd)when you tighten down the front pulley. If you have to, use a small block of wood and a hammer to tap the belt down into the driven pulley.

You will also now be able to get the tires to break lose and throw gravel and stuff from a standing start where before it would barely do it and slowly accelerate. Now hit the gas, the tires spin and your gone.

I sure wish they had a spell check for these replies.

Old 08-23-2001, 12:45 PM
Trailblazer

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I haven't done the mod yet- I try to get my $h!t together first! I will be doing it soon; also "snorking" my tranny, at which time I'll put in the bearings suggested in another thread. That will happen soon, I've got about 50 miles and at least two tranny submersions ( did you know that the 'Cat will almost float? ) on these bearings, and they're making some strange noises already.

Cowboy- I can't afford to be a farmer, although that's what I wanted to do with my life. My wife and I have 24 acres af sand so poor you need help to raise an umbrella. I have someone else do my crops- so I guess I'm a "gentlman farmer"...

My primary use of my 'Cat is rereational, but I do use it in the 40 acres of woodland that we own. It's a big help in tranporting tools and trees- I've planted over 1000 trees , and I'll never be done. This is a legacy to pass on and I am a caretaker of this for my lifetime.

Well I've taken up enough space- keep'em dirty! 8r