Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Hillard Hillard Hillard

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2005, 08:18 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hillard Hillard Hillard

Since I've had my 03 Sportsman 500 HO the right front wheel has been inconsistent with the four wheel drive. Toss a coin as to whether it'll be working or not when needed. I've replaced the front axle due to a seperate problem months ago. I've ordered and installed a new armature plate, a new garter spring and have double checked the hillard operation while off the unit. Rollers spring back as they should, etc. When I actuvate the four wheel drive switch after just turning the key I get magnetic pull from the coil on that side. This is without even spinning the rear wheels. I have the unit off the ground, I put it in gear and spin the rear wheels and I cant get the right front wheel to drive. The left works fine. I switched the wiring to opposite sides to eliminate any electrical problems, cleaned all connections. I don't really understand how you adjust the outer coil edge to properly space it from the inner coil edge. Also I can hear the coil activate with a vibrating sound. The rollers seem to be good, the cage had a bit of a problem that required some filing but all pins will slide thru all openings. Fluid is good. Should the clutch be working momentarily without fluid just for testing purposes? This problems got me man...I may have to see the dealership. Any knowledge would be greatly appreciated. I just don't know how much tolearance these parts have in order to work or not work.

Old 03-19-2005, 11:48 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hillard Hillard Hillard

I think you just use a brass hammer to adjust these clearances. The inner and outer are supposed to be flush with each other when you put a strait edge on em
good luck