Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Viper brand vs OEM Polaris brushguard?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 12:59 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Viper brand vs OEM Polaris brushguard?

Anyone have one of the brushguards made by Viper? If so do you think it's as strong as the OEM Polaris guard?

Viper brush guard

Old 03-28-2005, 03:47 AM
Pro Rider

i believe i have this almost exact same one on my 500, it is plenty strong with a nice thick black powdercoating on it. then only negative about it is there is only 3 small bolts on each side that hold the flared out pieces over each headlight to the actual brushguard in the center. you can take your hand and move it, but it is not loose by no means, you just wouldn't want anyone pulling on those flared out parts. hope this helps, IM me with any questions

Old 03-28-2005, 04:26 PM
Pro Rider

I think I have the same one, also, except mine has a failead mount on the horizontal bar (look at my photos). Seems plenty sturdy except the wings or whatever, as polarisbear said. They will protect the lights from all sorts of objects, but if you ran in to a tree and the wing hit the tree first, it would probably bend back. Not that it is something to worry about, they still are very strong, but expect it to bend back if you hit something going kind of fast. The center part is very strong though, you could smash into whatever you wanted with that.

tyler

Old 03-28-2005, 08:47 PM
Trailblazer

As far as the wings go... I have the Polaris brand and Yes they will bend in after hitting a tree. I hit one going about 5mph (slide in the snow) and it bent to the front bumper. No real big deal, got off and pulled it right back out. Think of it this way, without it I may have either cracked the fender or bumper, with it nothing.

Old 03-28-2005, 09:02 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah, the brushguard is more for preventing the small costly repairs rather than the big ones. It won't do much if you smash into a tree, but it will prevent something like a big branch taking out a light. I ride in mostly tight trails, so I got the brushguard. I think that the tube bumpers would hold up better for larger impacts.

Only think is that I had to modify my Superwinch mounting plate a little. If you notice, the middle horizontal bar runs just under where the winch goes, unlike the polaris ones, which have that bar further down. Also, the bottom bar does a fairly decent job of protecting the top of the radiator, but it isn't low enough to protect the bottom of it from stumps and the like.

Old 03-28-2005, 09:11 PM
Range Rover

Thanks for the input!

How far is the bottom of these brushguards from the frame near the bottom?

I have this nose/armor plate on my 700-->

Nose Plate

I'm hoping it doesn't stick out too much in the front where it might come into contact with the bottom of the brushguard. I've sent an inquiry to Pro-Armor but haven't heard back yet.

Old 03-28-2005, 09:13 PM
Pro Rider

I don't have a measurement for ya, but picture number 10 in my photos should give you a general idea.

Old 03-28-2005, 09:42 PM
Range Rover

Thanks! I finally found a couple Pics of mine with the plate on it. Comparing to yours I think it will be fine.

Pic1
Pic2

Old 03-29-2005, 08:15 PM
Pro Rider

Treacherous - I like the nose armor plate on there looks like it would protect from alot, maybe even save you from a tree stump or two huh. I would like to have one but want a black one, maybe I could get one and have it powder coated. as far as the brushguard goes I have been looking for a guard too and all of the ones I find are about $130 or higher by the time you include shipping. the one you have shown is what I am looking for but don't want to pay that much, I wonder if polaris gets theirs from Viper?

Old 03-29-2005, 08:19 PM
Pro Rider

No, the Polaris design is slightly different from the Viper one. But my dealer has both Viper and PurePolaris brushguards on the same shelf for the same price, with nothing marked on them to distinguish them from each other. Polaris's have one thin bar over each light and have the center large horizontal bar welded lower.

Quick Reply: Viper brand vs OEM Polaris brushguard?