Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Front Bearing Problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2005, 03:50 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Bearing Problems

Looking for some experienced ATV mechanics.
I have 2001 500HO. Bought it with 298mi now has about 400. It has developed a grind in the left front wheel but only periodically and specifically when I turn and put pressure on the left front wheel. Most likely a bearing, it does have some wobbel, not a ton but more that it should. Before I dig into this I was looking for some help on possible causes for the grind and fixes. Background, guy who had it rode hard for a year or two and then let it sit.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 06-30-2005, 02:46 AM
Pro Rider

sounds like a bearing to me. There are several bearings in there. cone type roller bearings these usually don't go bad but there could have been some water in the hub or it could have run out of hub fluid. The bearing isn't a big deal but I worry about what it's grinding against. There's alot of stuff in there so make sure when you do take it apart you line everything up so you can get it back the same way. The axle nut might be too loose. My nut was loose on one side and all my hub fluid leaked out. I ran about a day without any fluid and when I took everything apart for inspection it was all real nice in there. After I got everything clean and got the nut to the proper torque spec all my leaking stopped.

Old 06-30-2005, 12:30 PM
Range Rover

Well I am not a Polaris mechanic, but I have a lot of experience with the front hubs on the old style front hubs, like the 2001 sportsman.

If you do not have a lot of experience working on these you can create more problems by reassembling these incorrectly. These hubs can be finicky about clearance on the armature and front bearing nut torque.

But if you’re looking to get your hands dirty and get some experience, I would suggest;

Get it up on a jack stand and see how much wobble it has as well as inspect the boot assembly for fluid leaks. (seal)

Next I would switch the ALD on then start the machine and put it in gear (forward) and see if all the wheels turn. Carefully put some pressure on the front tires to make sure the Hilliard has engaged. If they both work (and I be surprised if they do) you have a straight forward bearing replacement (hopefully)

Now I would get a good manual and disassemble the hub and check for your problem.

These hubs need the fluid changed often and I would drain the other side while you’re at it.

If you decide to do it yourself ……….post back and we all will try and walk you though this.

Old 06-30-2005, 12:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks, great info, I am going to test the hillard clutch tonight. I bought a manual from CLYMER, looks OK but I need to dig further. If I dropped this at a Polaris dealer to change fluid and one side of the bearing, what do you think the estimated hrs would be? I am leary of getting screwed if I choose not to do this myself.

Also,
Why would you be suprised that the hillard is actually working?..and
is it worth changing the other side bearings while I am at it?

Thanks again.

Old 06-30-2005, 12:59 PM
Trailblazer

I'm an automotive mechanic and i could tell you from what you describe it is more than likely that bearing.

Old 07-12-2005, 11:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thought I would give an update for those who read or responded to my hub issues.

Turns out that the previous owner wiped out and what looked like a semi harmless gouge in the hub cap turned out to have let ALL the oil run out. So he and now, I have been riding with NO hub lube.

The result was disasterous, it was like a f'ing horror movie. The outter bearing had NO CAGE literally, the rollers fell out. The inner bearing was intact but fried and locked up. The hilliard clutch is toast including the armature plate (when you turn the AWD on it immediately engaged the one front wheel drive causing hideous steering issues) the far inside bearings(both of them) before the CV joint are assumed to be toast also due to the fact that they are fed by the same oil.

Parts only - $250+ in bearings&races and seals + Hilliard clutch $189

Hint, check you hub lube regularly!!

Old 07-12-2005, 12:26 PM
Range Rover

All I can say is OUCH!!!.............some lessons don't come cheap!

The front hubs with the Hilliard clutch is the one weak link I the Polaris system, only because they need to be watched and maintained. Once you understand how the system works and you change and CHECK the fluid levels, the system works well.
I have a feeling that the wheel that loss its fluid left a telltale oil stain on your wheel that you won’t just wipe off again!

Take your bearings over to a industrial bearing supply house you can probably find the bearings and races for far less!

Good Luck

Old 07-12-2005, 02:46 PM
Pro Rider

While you are at it take the other hub apart clean and check the bearings and hilliard clutch. I do this once a year and change the hub oil every 500 miles or so as it takes so little time and oil to do so.....

Old 07-13-2005, 02:30 PM
Pro Rider

Oh man that stinks. This is for sure a worst case scenario. Try looking around on ebay for parts you can find them cheaper there sometimes.

Old 07-13-2005, 10:51 PM
Pro Rider

make sure to check the areas on the axle that the bearings ride on. It would suck to trash a new set of bearings with a bad axle.